Morris' eyes look really bad

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I have read, the disease can be spread by animal-to-animal contact, and also from fleas that pass between animals. The first signs of the disease appear 3 days after infection.

This is a very good article on myxi, but it does not mention any treatment options, other than keeping the bunny warm and comfortable, wiping off crusty lesions, and letting the virus run its course.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Viral_diseases/myxomatosis.PDF

I hope that Lopsy does not have it. If he is developing symptoms only 34 hours after his first exposure to Morris (24 hrs in the house, 10 hrs since he left, as you mentioned above), it would not be myxi that had passed from Morris to him. There could be another source of myxi, such as the environment, if they were in the same environment 3 days prior to Morris showing his first symptoms. Does this make sense? What I'm trying to say is that the incubation period of myxi is 72hrs, so unless Morris and Lopsy were in the same place 72 hrs from when the first symptoms appeared, it's not myxi.

My dad read somewhere that the incudation was 5 days, and the fifth day would be today. But if it's 3 days, then that is even better news because both my buns seem to be happy and healthy! I think I was just so overtired that I was looking too hard to find something wrong. They are both energetic and eating etc. Since at this stage they seem to be fine, I do not really wish to read all about the horrible disease, but I do appreciate your help!

In the case of Morris, I was keeping him cool rather than warm, because it was a hot here! I was at least able to make him a little more comfortable in his last 24 hours. the vet said he had a high temperature, which explains why he seemed really hot even in the morning when the day hadn't really heated up yet.

Fingers crossed the other bunny from Morris' house is okay too, I haven't heard anything otherwise since the owners are back.

Thanks again for your help everyone. I am feeling somewhat relived now :)

Latest posts

Back