Morgan is shedding....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undergunfire

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I am a little bit concerned, as Morgan is shedding like crazy. I am having to pull out the shop vac and suck up all the hair every day after work.

Could this shedding be from stress? He isn't stressed here at all, but could it have been from the flight from Peg's house? The possible change in temperature or altitude? Could he be sick somehow?

He is just shedding so much. I probably shouldn't be concerned, but this is a lot of hair! I'll get a picture of it tomorrow and post it here for all to see. His toys are piled in the middle of his cage, and there is a "fence" of hair all around them.

Amy, it most definitely could be from stress and climate change and a change in general from moving. Just keep an eye on him.

Tell me what to do about the Snuff, that little turd shedded all summer into now. It is finally stopping, geez.:shock: You wouldn't have believed the hair that came off that poor baby boy:shock:. A bunch of bunnies.:shock:

It could be stress, but it could also be weather change, his natural time of year or a parasite or something.

I have noticed that this year mine are all screwed with their moulting, and its probably due to the weather.

Maybe try gently plucking him to get out the lose stuff and maybe that might help the problem. And of course spoil him with lots of hay :) Just keep and eye as with any other buns for any digestive problems :)

Honestly, I would expect a huge molt after such adventures as flying! I think I would probably molt if I took a trip like that LOL!

Anyhow, it was probably stress, but if he's acting ok and eating and pooping and all the goodies they do - he's probably ok. The molt probably game on when he was nervous and now that he's not it's likely he'll just lose the hair and be done.

Just make sure you keep it off him as best as you can so he doesn't get fur blocked.

If you are concerned about him consuming too much fur fresh pineapple contains an enzyme which is effective in breaking it down, I feed a little each day during a moult to rabbits who suffer badly. It must be fresh...the process used to treat canned or dried pineapple destroys the enzyme.

The enzyme, bromelain can be purchased 'neat' from health care stores in tablet form or you can usepapaya enzyme tablets available specifically for rabbits online.

Brushing the coat everyday to remove as much dead fur as possible also prevents ingestion and help the rabbit to feel better. Moulting in itsefl can be stressful and uncomfortable.

Thanks, you guys :). I was just pretty concerned!

I have a flea comb, so I will run it through him to help get all the hair out and push hay....which we are out of right now (ran out yesterday), that reminds me :shock:. I was waiting for the hay to dry from last week's rain, but now it is windy and raining like crazy outside :grumpy:. I didn't want to have to pay $10 for another tiny bag of Oxbow.

amy!

in the middle of november, nemo had to spend 10 days at a friend of mine's house because i was out of town both those weekends and during the week i had another dog at my house that i was dog sitting, and i didn't want to chance how they would get along.

i visited nemo everyday at my friends house, and he progressively shed MORE and MORE all over the place. it was crazy, i would pet him and fur would fly EVERYWHERE, including in my eyes and up my nose.

once nemo got home, over the course of a couple of days, he stopped shedding altogether, unless he got onto one of my static loving work shirts. same holds true for now :)

morgan is probably just stressed and like, what the hell is happening to me already!!?! he will readjust and be picture perfect as usual real soon :)

tracy and nemo

Morgan wasn't shedding here at all - maybe a few hairs once in a while but not much.

I would imagine that the stress of the flight plus sharing "his" old room with others he didn't know before (Brody & the ratties) would cause enough stress to go through a molt.

In addition, you've changed his food I'm sure too and that can cause a molt.

Peg

theevenstarlight wrote:
Is it normal for rabbits to molt every month? One of mine sheds like crazy every month, but I thought it was supposed to be like every 3 months...

It should be roughly every three months, but things like bad diet, stress, change of circumstances or living arrangements or ill healthcan throw a buns moult out of whack and have them moulting irregularly.

Also the weather can do it, mine seem to be moutling on and off at the moment, or rather they were over the summer and in the Spring, but they seem more settled now.

Bo went through something and molted for like........ well....... a LONG time. he's still finishing up and getting all of his new hair. I think it was stress from trying to Bond him with Clover maybe.......

he's doing well tho :)

Morgan's shedding isn't so bad anymore :biggrin2:! Yay!

Baby Ralphie (my hairless rat) was running around the bedroom and snuck into Morgan's cage....then crawled back out...and he suddenly had hair! All Morgan's shedded out hair got stuck to Ralphie's skin....hahahahahaha!

:laugh:

Back