Mites!! My poor baby have mites!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ivory wrote:
First of all, calm down. If you're freaking out over this, you can't think properly, and all that will come out of panic is the suffering of your rabbits. Don't do unnecessary things like shaving your rabbits bald- that can lead to problems of its own. Don't make the situation worse than what it is. Approach it with a calm head.

Secondly, get them medicated! Mange, whether demodectic or sacoptic, is miserable! Ivermectin has a very low chance of death, and your veterinarian knows what he's doing. Mites aren't hard to treat, but you actually have to treat it.

Get the Ivermectin, or get Revolution. They both work wonderfully in rabbits. I find that Revolution works better, actually, but Ivermectin is also effective. Some vets do it differently. Some vets do shots once a week, some do it every two weeks.

If you have a flea problem, Advantage orange (for cats under nine pounds) works beautifully on rabbits and you won't have the problems with Advantage that you'll get from Frontline.

The longer you wait to get them treated, the worse off they will be, and the harder it will be to treat the mites.

I realise people here don't have a habit of reading properly. I've repeated myself umpteened times that I cut his fur because fur on his bodywas matted! I didn't cut him becausehe has mites! DUH!

I am the calmest person I know.

And I did mentioned that they've seen the vet and got the shots. :grumpy:

Hi Pam

They're doing alright. Sugar is more docile now. She never liked lying on her back(being carried like a baby) but now she just let's me do it! I don't know if that has anything to do with the ivermectin shot?

I'm just worried about the next shot on this wednesday. How would I know if it's an overdose?

At first I thought I was allergic to the washing powder my mother was using. Until I did some tests, I found out it wasn't the washing powder. So I decided to ask the vet and told me it's possibly the mites.I came home, washed/cleaned everything in dettol and my rashes started to dissappear. Though I still have some "rash".

You know what I thought it was when I developed an itchy rash? After ruling out fleas (the bites were similar, but oddly I was always bitten in the same place, and try as I might, could not see evidence of any fleas in the house...which in the past during a flea infestation, wasn't hard to do) my next thought was that it was bedbugs. UGH!! I was waking up in the morning with bites on my body, and they itched like crazy. (Yep Pam, I agree...very itchy!!) Because it was almost always that I saw the bites upon waking, bedbugs seemed the next thing to suspect. Thank heavens it wasn't, as I've heard those things are just about impossible to erradicate, even with professional help. I've read stories of people actually tossing out all their clothing, bedding, carpets, and furniture in an attempt to get rid of them. I was going to work, horrified that I might have these invasive creatures crawling on me somewhere. (ick ick ick, is all I can say about the thoughts of them) Of course it took me a while to realize that the spots were showing up in the morning because I had Raph with me every evening, stretched out next to me on the sofa, or sleeping across my lap.

Anyway, once fur mites were determined they disappeared very quickly, and the rash I had eventually went away as well. I used Lanacaine (sp.) onmy skin when the itching got bad, andit helped somewhat. You're fortunate you have a vet who suggested it could be mites rather than allergies...my vet dismissed the idea of mites altogether without even testing for them, and so both myself and my pets went through a very itchy time (not to mention the stress of wondering what it was!).

Are you going to post a pic of your bunny once he's grown his coat back? He's a real cutie; I'd love to see him 'dressed'! ;)

I realize I sounded rather vague and blunt....

When I said, "Don't shave the rabbit for mites", that was exactly what I meant. I didn't mean that you had shaved him for them. I wasn't accusing you of making the situation worse. I was simply saying that shaving for mites isn't needed and can cause problems of its own.

I didn't read your responses as calm- I read them as quite the opposite. I realize that it's the internet and things can become misconstrued quite easily as something they're not. If I misread you then I apologize. I see it too often- vet says one side effect that has happened in an uncommon, or in Ivermectin's case, downright rare situation, and the owners refuse to continue treatment. (This has happened in the past regarding Rimadyl, for instance. Or some such thing.)

Some indications of an overdose of Ivermectin would include lethargy, and other neurological symptoms such as seizures with drooling accompanying that as well. However the vet would have to give a seriously BIG overdose for that to happen. I doubt seriously that they will have any side effects but dead mites. Ir you see any of these side effects then alert your vet immediately, but you won't see them. It's pretty hard to give that high of an overdose.

Again I apologize if I was generally too vague. I tend to do that :)

If the rabbits were lethargic after getting the shots, they may have had an overdose, or may be sensitive to the drug. Some rabbits have a reaction even when given the correct dosage. If they did have a reaction, I would not use the drug again.

Symptoms of Ivermectin toxicity mayinclude lethargy, disorientation, weakness, drooling, dilated pupils, blindness, slow heart rate, depressed rate of respiration.

If the vet is unsure of dosage, I recommend 1/10 of a cc per every 5 pounds of body weight.

Pam

Bassetluv wrote:
At first I thought I was allergic to the washing powder my mother was using. Until I did some tests, I found out it wasn't the washing powder. So I decided to ask the vet and told me it's possibly the mites.I came home, washed/cleaned everything in dettol and my rashes started to dissappear. Though I still have some "rash".

You know what I thought it was when I developed an itchy rash? After ruling out fleas (the bites were similar, but oddly I was always bitten in the same place, and try as I might, could not see evidence of any fleas in the house...which in the past during a flea infestation, wasn't hard to do) my next thought was that it was bedbugs. UGH!! I was waking up in the morning with bites on my body, and they itched like crazy. (Yep Pam, I agree...very itchy!!) Because it was almost always that I saw the bites upon waking, bedbugs seemed the next thing to suspect. Thank heavens it wasn't, as I've heard those things are just about impossible to erradicate, even with professional help. I've read stories of people actually tossing out all their clothing, bedding, carpets, and furniture in an attempt to get rid of them. I was going to work, horrified that I might have these invasive creatures crawling on me somewhere. (ick ick ick, is all I can say about the thoughts of them) Of course it took me a while to realize that the spots were showing up in the morning because I had Raph with me every evening, stretched out next to me on the sofa, or sleeping across my lap.

Anyway, once fur mites were determined they disappeared very quickly, and the rash I had eventually went away as well. I used Lanacaine (sp.) onmy skin when the itching got bad, andit helped somewhat. You're fortunate you have a vet who suggested it could be mites rather than allergies...my vet dismissed the idea of mites altogether without even testing for them, and so both myself and my pets went through a very itchy time (not to mention the stress of wondering what it was!).

Are you going to post a pic of your bunny once he's grown his coat back? He's a real cutie; I'd love to see him 'dressed'! ;)

Wow. Tossing everything is a little too extreme.. I never thought of bed bugs. My bed is new, anti bed bugs and dust mites. :biggrin2:I'm using calamine lotion for my rashes, works pretty well.

The black patch on his back is hisbirthmark?I realise thatthe fur there grows faster than the rest of his body. Colour of his fur is slightly different now. It's greyish. I wonder what colour it'll be in the end.. I will post a pic of him when he's dressed. ;)

Ivory wrote:
I realize I sounded rather vague and blunt....

When I said, "Don't shave the rabbit for mites", that was exactly what I meant. I didn't mean that you had shaved him for them. I wasn't accusing you of making the situation worse. I was simply saying that shaving for mites isn't needed and can cause problems of its own.

I didn't read your responses as calm- I read them as quite the opposite. I realize that it's the internet and things can become misconstrued quite easily as something they're not. If I misread you then I apologize. I see it too often- vet says one side effect that has happened in an uncommon, or in Ivermectin's case, downright rare situation, and the owners refuse to continue treatment. (This has happened in the past regarding Rimadyl, for instance. Or some such thing.)

Some indications of an overdose of Ivermectin would include lethargy, and other neurological symptoms such as seizures with drooling accompanying that as well. However the vet would have to give a seriously BIG overdose for that to happen. I doubt seriously that they will have any side effects but dead mites. Ir you see any of these side effects then alert your vet immediately, but you won't see them. It's pretty hard to give that high of an overdose.

Again I apologize if I was generally too vague. I tend to do that :)

No prob.. no harm was done.

They look listless, took quite a while to finish their pallets(about an hr?). I can't really say they're lethargic?

pamnock wrote:
If the rabbits were lethargic after getting the shots, they may have had an overdose, or may be sensitive to the drug. Some rabbits have a reaction even when given the correct dosage. If they did have a reaction, I would not use the drug again.

Symptoms of Ivermectin toxicity mayinclude lethargy, disorientation, weakness, drooling, dilated pupils, blindness, slow heart rate, depressed rate of respiration.

If the vet is unsure of dosage, I recommend 1/10 of a cc per every 5 pounds of body weight.

Pam

They look more listless than lethargic? I really have no idea?

Sugar is so much more docile, I have no idea if it hasanything to do with the shot..

They may have been listless from the stress of going to the vet. Most rabbits tolerate Ivermectin fine, but in rare cases, some rabbits are hypersensitive.

Pam

Back