Mite spray

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sabine

Reaction score
Hi guys, I was just wondering if the following product was worth having in your rabbit's medicine chest just in case
http://cgi.ebay.ie/BOB-MARTIN-SMALL...mals?hash=item335242ed35&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
I only ever had a guinea pig with mites before and he had to have about six injections of ivermectin. I was just wondering if there was an alternative should I have an outbreak among my rabbits.
I can't get the product or anything similar in Ireland so I have to order online. I was just wondering if anyone had ever used the stuff or heard anything about it.
Thanks, Sabine

I think mite sprays are pretty useless. I'd worry about the animal grooming themselves and ingesting the chemicals. Also, they have an extremely strong odor. Ivermection is what I've always used with my bun's and guinea pigs, when needed.

It is always what my vet recommends using.

Mites in guinea pigs are a major problem....much more difficult to deal with than mites usually are in rabbits. We have had piggies goe into seizures due to mites. I don't know if this drug is available in Ireland but the best treatment for mites is Revolution (Selemectin)....it is an advanced version of Ivermectin. Effective against a wide range of both external and internal parasites. With the exception of Adam's Water Based Spray that is available here in the US, I am more than cautious in using sprays. They can absorb transdermally....and spraying isn't something that a controlled dose can usually be administered. I am always concered with an overdose...and you are talking about using an insecticide....a toxin here. I would error on the side of caution and use products that can be properly dosed.

Randy

I'm not sure if you can get that where you are, either. If not, Xeno 450 is for mites and I don't think you need a prescription for it, so it can be one to have in the medicine cabinet just in case you need it.

Flashy wrote:
I'm not sure if you can get that where you are, either. If not, Xeno 450 is for mites and I don't think you need a prescription for it, so it can be one to have in the medicine cabinet just in case you need it.
Is that a spray as well or can it be dosed in drops?

Back