Mister Has An Abscess (and maybe gas)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pipp

Reaction score
Mister, my mini-rex auction rescue, stopped eating his dinner after just a few bites of carrot, which is very unusual for him. He had been running around eating dead veggie bits off the floor as I was putting together the bunny salads, figured it was gas again (which he had before).

As I was giving him some gas meds, noticed a skin abscess on his foot. Its small but pus was coming out and there's now a small eraser head-sized hole. I cleaned it with Betadine, it doesn't look too bad but I'm assuming it's going to take more than that to clear it up. :(

My vet is away and nobody I trust is open on Sundays. I have ChlorPalm here, and I might have one shot left of penicillin from Sherry and Lisa's mouth abscesses.

Really not sure if I should use the ChlorPalm or not -- I know that's what he'll probably prescribe if he goes for an oral antibiotic.

I'm still thinking he's acting more like he's gassy, but then again, what if he's acting sick because the infection is systemic? :nerves1

sas :?

Aww sas, I'm sorry to hear Mister is sick :(

I don't have anything in the way of advice, but I hope he recovers soon and the antibiotics start to help him.

How is he doing now?

Thinking of you and little Mister :hug:

It was a gas attack. :) Fell asleep before I could give him his third gas med dose, I woke up a few hours later in a panic, raced over to his cage, and he popped right up and asked for his salad. He was REALLY wanted his salad. ;)

The abscess is looking a lot better as well.

Thanks for asking!

sas :bunnydance:

Whew that the gas attack is over! It's possible that pain from his foot made him not want to eat so his GI bacteria got out of balance. Keep us updated on the abscess. I think since it has opened you'll want to have it flushed well and give injectible penicillin.

Latest posts

Back