Mercury is dropping weight a bit and not eating as much

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinysMom

Reaction score
First of all - Mercury is a 9 month old flemish giant buck. He normally is free-fed pellets and also gets some hay and treats like carrots, bananas, etc. at times.

We've noticed over the last two weeks that he's dropped his intake by approximately 2/3. Where he used to get about 6 scoops of food with my little scooper - he's now not eating quite 2 scoops.

When I last weighed him (2 months ago) he was 13 pounds 3 1/2 ounces - now he has dropped to 12 pounds and 10 ounces.

His poops look good - same as usual - just not as many (but not like he's not pooping). His urine seems ok - no unusual smell, etc. He's active during his playtime and runs and plays. He's alert and fine.

I'm going to contact some flemish giant breeders to see if this can happen sometimes to flemish as they stop growing (he's no longer minimum show weight so I'm a tiny bit disturbed).

Thoughts? I can't go to the vet right now and I'm not sure exactly what she'd say as there appears to be nothing wrong other than a weight loss.

Peg..

I believe that Randy would tell you to deworm him. I have sat here searching for the correct dosage of panancur (fenbendazole) , however, cannot find the dose that Randy gave us. if you get the liquid Safe guard ( fenbendzole)for goats the dosage is 20 mg /ml and is easier to give than to formulate for large animal products

The drug dose calculator has it 20mg /kg
kg=2.2 lbs

http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/rx/drugcalc.html

Claire may be able to find Randy's dosage ifI cannot .

I agree, a deworming just to make sure will help. I don't know of any other dosage than the Rabbit Dosage Calculator, though.

I did some looking on Medirabbit and came up with 10-20mg/kg PO for fenbendazole, repeat in 10-14 days. Not all intestinal parasites are sensitive to fenbendazole, and not all are sensitive to ivermectin. So, if the fenbendazole doesn't work, try ivermectin next.

He is reaching adult age/size, though, so that could be a reason as well--no longer needing all that nutrition to grow.

I don't think that's normal, Marvin and Radar looked like they almost gained half again their weight between eight months and 16 months. They didn't get bigger but they got thicker and I assume quite a bit heavier. (I don't have scales here).

My foster Flemmies are 11 month and they've gained quite a bit the last two months, or at least Mikael has. Makes me want to recheck Zak, he looks smaller than Mike now. Its possible he's stopped growing, I should check. I've been trying to get them to eat more hay so I'm not free feeding.

Mercury is too young for anything like teeth problems (other than something stuck in them or something), cancer, etc, I'd go for de-worming as well.

Is he molting per chance? My guys will feel a little 'off' during a molt which could lead to less of an appetite and thus less weight.

And I had a few of my guys, Flemmies including, stop eating as many pellets when I got towards the bottom of the bag and I presume they got stale.

If the de-worming and tinkering doesn't work, I'd say a physical is in the cards with an eye to whatever processes show up at maturity as well as the common stuff like a hidden ear infection, UTI, etc.

:goodluck

sas :clover:

Latest posts

Back