maybe i should get her checked??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rezbeck

Reaction score
i have one male and one female rabbit. i knowthat they have been doing what rabbits do but no sign of herbeing pregnant.....the woman in the pet shop said that smokeywas a boy and the breeder who i bought snowy off said she was a girl,do you think they are mistaken? what do you think?

how old are they,

unless they are nuetered and spayed you need to seperate them even ifyou want babies. If you want babies then just put them together forabout a half hour or just watch them for when they breed and then justwait about 28 days for the babies. Right now I would seperate them andwait for about 36 days for babies. Keep the doe with a nest box. If youkeep them together while the doe is pregnant the doe will get upset andfight with your buck, or have problems kindling. She could alsoconceive twice and carry two litters at once and the litters could bedifferent ages so you need to be carefull. They may be too young tobreed if they are babies.

They can reproduce, but would you want such ayoung baby having kids of her own... look at pregnantteenagers! LOL :p

sorry computer was acting up for a littlewhile. YES They are old enough to breed. But to young realyfor it to be safe for them so you realy want to wait a while longer.

Working my best at finding a good way to write up about how rabbits cancarry too litters, I am afraid to start because I am know that I willmake it realy confusing. LOL I am pretty sure I got a book somewherethat describes it realy well. Just the question is where! lol

rabbitgirl wrote:
WHAT????!! That is toooo weird. How is that possible?

furballs are strange....

Rose
It's called superfoetation and would only happen very rarely in rabbitsdespite the fact that they have two uterine horns. There areeven a few documented cases in humans. Superfoetation iscommon in hares, which become receptive in the last 5 days of the firstgestation. Before I learned to palpate (many yearsago), I always bred the does 2 weeks after the first breeding and neverhad a "double pregnancy".

http://66.218.71.225/search/cache?p=superfoetation+rabbits&ei=UTF-8&fl=0&u=www.fao.org/docrep/t1690e/t1690e05.htm&w=superfoetation+rabbits&d=EF3AC9629E&icp=1&.intl=us

"Unlike the phenomenon observed in the femalehare,superfoetation (two simultaneous pregnancies at two differentstages of development) never occurs in rabbits."

Excerpt http://unx1.shsu.edu/~bio_mlt/Rabbits.html

[*][size=+1]Superfoetation (hares) simultaneous gestation of twolitters of different ages - copulate 1-5 days prior to giving birth,new litter implants in different uterine horn from those ready to beborn.[/size]
superfoetation in captive brown hares (Lepus europaeus aka European Hares)

http://www.reproduction-online.org/cgi/gca?sendit=Get+All+Checked+Abstract%28s%29&gca=92%2F2%2F299

The primary reason everyone assumes that rabbitscan have double litters is the fact that they have 2 uterinehorns. However, cows, pigs, cats, shrews, horses, dogs, etc.*all* have 2 uterine horns. In humans, it also occurs, but isconsidered a congenital anomaly and those women are prone to miscarry.

Superfoetation can occur in rabbits, it would be very rarethough. I have had an occurance of a healthy setofkits born4 days apart -- but the doe had onlybeen bred once, so I know it was not a separate conception.In some cases, the doe rebreeds to the buck immediately after givingbirth, and some people assume that is a second litter -- however, it'sjust another full term litter with a normal gestation.

I have learned that certainly nothing is impossible. I got tosee a set of conjoined kittens -- one male and one female.This is considered one of those *impossibilities*, however, after muchresearch, I found 4 documented cases in humans of conjoined twins beingof opposite sex. It is due to a chromosome abnormality duringthe development of two male conjoined twins.

Pam

Latest posts

Back