Mating Triggers

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gussy

Reaction score
I have two young bunnies (born around 1/15),male and female, for about a week. Today I got two otherbunnies, male and female around the same age. My male bunnyfrom the first batch started trying to mount the all the other bunniesincluding the other male.

Can this be triggered by the addition of another male or the date of birth of the first male is wrong?

Thanks!

Ouch...first of all, those babies are prettyyoung to be leaving their mamas. I don't let them go normally beforethey're 8 weeks old although I have gone as low as 6 weeks for otherbreeders who were taking some that were raised together and mama hadweaned them early on her own.

I would think it is the male just starting to express dominance sinceif he is a smaller breed his "male parts" can drop any time now.

I do hope you start keeping the does separated from the males as youwon't want to breed them for a couple more months at least - even ifthey can get pregnant earlier.

Peg

I don't think I can deal with more than 4rabbits! They are supposed to get spayed/neutered sometime inApril. I separated the male from the others and put him alonein his cage. He seems lonely though!

Are you certain of the sexes? It'svery easy to make a mistake, even for breeders. It happensall the time.

A vet can tell you for certain. Rabbitscanreproduce at a very early age, so unless you want a lotmore rabbits, I'd be very careful with them.

If any of them have visible testicles, make sure they are kept away from the others.

HEY! I resemble that remark!

I've actually told folks that before 8 weeks of age, I'm more accurateflipping a coin and saying heads is does and tails is bucks than tryingto look at them. I have HORRID eyes.:shock:

Peg

Snuggys Mom wrote:
Are you certain of thesexes? It's very easy to make a mistake, even forbreeders. It happens all the time.

Latest posts

Back