Mating then travelling

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polly

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone can help, i am going to see a breeder tomorrow and she has offered me a brood doe that she will mate up in front of me. Should the pregnancy go ok or is there a chance of her reabsorbing due tothe stress of travelling.

Thanks in advance:)

Depends... Has the doe travelled before? I'm sure the breeder will be able to tell you how she handles stress and travelling. And how long is the trip? A couple hours should be fine.

--Dawn

around 4 -5 hours depending on how bad the flooding is, hopefull about 4, she will be mated up right in front of us so it will be mate her then bring her home

She should be fine. I have had pregnant does flown across the US from

California to New England with no trouble. Breeders at shows often breed

rabbits at the show and then drive hours to go home.

Roger

there is a possiblilty of absorption due to the stress of the move 4-5 hours is a long time to be traveling. and only breeding once there is a possiblity she may not take I usually breed my does once then wait a hour then breed them again and wait another hour and breed them again then wait 10 days to palpatate to see if they took.

We have bred does at shows and driven home, 4-5 hours doesn't usually bother my girls. I also suggest breeding at least 3 times with the buck, toimprove the chances that it "takes". (Depends on how often or how recently the buck has been "used".)

Good Luck with your trip! Hope the breeding goes well.

Thanks guys if i get back early enough i will post and let you know what happens. Not sure which rabbits we will take off her i was just wondering if we do take the brood doe.

polly wrote:
Thanks guys if i get back early enough i will post and let you know what happens. Not sure which rabbits we will take off her i was just wondering if we do take the brood doe.
This is all very exiting. I'm awaiting news :D

OK just got back.

The brood doe had been sold so it wasn't a problem, i got a blue otter doe which looks quite nice she is 11 weeks and a black otter buck that is around 13 weeks he seems to have quite a nice head and is not to long but his ears look a bit big i know they can grow into them so i will see,.

Lucy had her babies on thurs she had 4 but only 1 survived it is a black otter (dads a chin) so if it is a buck and is good type i will keep for the blacks and blues and if it is a doe i will use her to breed back to my chin. Either way it should work.

She had an amazing amount of rabbits i have never seen so many buns in one place other than at a show lol

Back