Marking Issues & Blanket Question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larsen

Reaction score
We have 3 bunnies (2 boys and 1 girl). I LOVE my bunnies. We have had the boys since they were 6 weeks old and our girl bunny just joined our family almost 2 months ago. We've had bonding issues (finally done but one of the boys has since been ostracized) but have yet to resolve the marking issues. EVERY day I have to pull out my SpotBot Pet carpet cleaner to get up the spots that they have left. They leave markings (in colors ranging from super dark to super light) in just about every single room. I just read that if I dab a little vinegar on the spot after its been cleaned, it will discourage them from marking there again. I thought AHA I can get out my full size steam cleaner and clean all the carpet (crappy burber carpet that has survived 3 kids) with a solution of hot water and white vinegar. Will that drive them crazy or help this solution? I got rid of the "small" litter boxes and replaced them with these huge cat litter boxes which does help. I have a carpet laid out infront of their cage and they pee quite a bit on the carpet so it has to be cleaned every day (washing machine). My rabbits have never had their own "blankets" b/c my first bunny (who passed away last year) alwaystore hers apart so I didn't think they liked them. What kind of blankets are recommended? I'm going to an apple farm this week to (hopefully) get a truck load of organic apple twigs for them to chew on. They don't respond to toilet tubes or most toys....

I have always cleaned any carpet stains with white vinegar, and I have found that it does help to deter them from continually marking the same spots. It is not an instant fix, but it does help alot.

Giving the entire carpet a deep clean with the vinegar may help. Just be prepared for it to smell strongly of vinegar for a while after until the carpets are 100% dry. However, that would probably ensure that all the urine has been neutralized by the vinegar.

If you want to provide blankets, I would recommend fleece. It is easy to wash, does not fray and my buns have always enjoyed snuggling on them (the ones that get them anyways).

I found that my buns love chewing the bark off of branches. Apple branches are great.

--Dawn

Larsen wrote:
(crappy burber carpet that has survived 3 kids)

Here here! My Berber is almost 8 years old and shows every sorry indication of its age. I don't think it's normal. Its lifespan ended quite some time ago but for now I won't be replacing it.

THANKS for the input - my husband said that steaming the entire carpet with vinegar would be too much. I told him that I wouldn't make it a 50/50 solution. I will go and get a couple of fleece blankets - hope they don't use them for a substitute litter box. LOL

You can also just put vinegar into your Spotbot rather than a cleaning solution. Do a 50/50 mixture in the solution side. That way the pee spots will get a vinegar treatment, but the whole house won't have to stink like vinegar in the process.

--Dawn

Well that was a thought but my initial approach was if I did the entire carpet it would discourage them from finding a new spot. I was hoping to get them to pee only in the litter box. I'd hate to have to take away their free-roaming privileges.

Jenn - if you would like some wonderful fleece blankets, we are selling some for $5 each. One of our volunteers made them for Gainesville Rabbit Rescue to raise funds. If you would like a few, let me know and I can stop by on my way home from work one day.

P.S. It would be wonderful to see Cricket and her boys!

I'll take 3 blankets please! I'm curious to see how they react to them. We're on break this week so we should be here every day - just let me know when would be best for you.

THANKS!

Jenn

Latest posts

Back