Mange and rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

la

Reaction score
My fiance's parents bought a puppy a few monthsback. It seems that she had developed some kind of skin disease, when Ilooked up her symptoms they all led to sarcoptic mange (she has all ofthe symptoms to a T)...

My main concernis that I have two inside rabbits, and I waswanting to know if the mange could be transfered to them? They don'tseem to have any problems, I just don't want to blow it off only tohave them get infected.

As far as I know, "mange" is just a term for a type of mites. There are three (i think) types of mange that can infect dogs.

I would assume that it can be transferred to the rabbits. I wouldnttreat unless you notice the signs of infection. Watch for itching andmissing patches of fur. Just keep a good eye on them.

If they do get mites, you could probably treat with an over the counter med or get the vet to prescribe invermectin.

Best to just keep an eye on them for now.

Thanks. I did some research on mange, and yesit's mites. From what the information said rabbits can get mange, butmy rabbits do not come in contact with that specific dog (mostlybecause she would try to hurt them, she doesn't even get along with theother two dogs here). I'm going to keep a very close eye on them, andif they seem to have problems I will defiantly take them to the vet.

She had mange, and apparently a bacterial infection as well. The vetgave them something to wash the other dogs, but I'm not about to usethat shampoo on rabbits, it would probably hurt them.

It's such a sad skin disease, I've never been around an animal that hashad mange, let alone a skin problem, I'm just hoping and praying thatit won't transfer to my poor bunnies.

Yeah, I would just make sure to keep themseparate at all times. I wouldnt even let them run in the same area incase the dog leaves some mites behind..

My bunnies had mites once and I hope we never have it again. I think Iwas more of a mess than they were. I kept picturing little nasty thingscrawling all over me. Ick!

I would just keep a close eye on them. If they do get mites, Im sureyour vet (or other members here)could tell you whattreatments are safe for bunnies.

Good Luck and keep us posted!

Ewww, I hope that poor puppy healssoon! Are they treating the environment too? Thatcan prevent reinfection and can help prevent your rabbits from gettingit. Are you living with your fiance's parents?

If your rabbits do start to show changes in their skin or fur, otherthan normal molting, a vet should be able to give you an appropriatesafe medication. Most likely Ivermectin, although I've seenRevolution used to treat fur mites. In fact, if you wantedyou could call the vet and start your rabbits on Revolution now (once amonth treatment) as a preventative.

we're going through Mites right now with one ofour buns....Its not pretty and I'm with Haley....Its a gross feelingthinking of them crawling on you....

Keep them seperated and wash up/change clothes before petting the dogsthen petting your buns....You want limit the possibilites to transferanything.

I think that we're going to sanitize the areapay day, and yes we're all in the same household. Thankfully theinfected dog is on one side of the house and my rabbits are in our roomon the other side. And I can imagine that it's gross, I've seen awfulpictures. I would be a wreck to think that my rabbits could have mites.And we're defiantly not letting them out until the dog is healed andwe're sanitize everything several times.

Latest posts

Back