Malocclusion + Neuter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

12354somebunny

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is an issue to be concerned with, but I'll just ask anyway so please bear with me :p

My bunny, Hans, is almost 6 months. I plan to neuter him.. but i'm not sure if I should wait a little longer before doing it.

Hans has malocclusion.. he has an underbite which results in his bottom incisors being further in front of his upper incisors. I've read/heard that baby bunnies can sometimes outgrow malocclusion..

So.. I'm wondering if I should delay Hans' neuter on the slim chance that he may be one of those lucky bunnies to outgrow malocclusion? Will he need those 'boy hormones' for his head to fully fill out & his upper jaw length to catch up with his lower jaw length? I'm not sure whether those hormones are just for reproductive purposes or whether they also play a role in growth?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

Rabbits may sometimes outgrow simple malocclusion (butting teeth), but do not generally outgrow "wolf teeth".

Pam

Thanks, Pam! So what Hans has is "wolf teeth".. and it wouldn't make a difference if I neutered him soon?

somebunny wrote:
Thanks, Pam! So what Hans has is "wolf teeth".. and it wouldn't make a difference if I neutered him soon?

It's not likely tomake any difference.

Pam

Latest posts

Back