Make it Yourself Out Door Hutch

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glitzy

Reaction score
I used to put my bunny outside in a run that I bought at a tag sale. My neighbor used it to help house train their new puppy, but I put a wire screen on top of it so that no birds or cats could get in. Sadly, my neighbors dogs escaped through their electric fence and managed to get Pandora :'(
A few months later, now I have a new bunny and want to be able to put her outside but I'm afraid that the same thing is going to happen.
Is there a build it yourself way I could make a run that is dog/cat/any -other- bunny-predator proof? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

:bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:

You need to build/buy one with a strong wooden frame eg (2" square) and cover that with weld mesh (square mesh welded at joints) a max of 1" square. Attach the mesh firmly with plenty of staples. Fit the mesh to the floor too and then make a lid and fit it with bolts to prevent non humans from lifting it off.

I just built an indoor rabbit hutch and I feel like I should recommend you buy one. The reason I built one is because I wanted her to have more space than then indoor cages had. However, it honestly cost the same to build on as buy a large nice one when all was said and done.

If you have had trouble in the past with animals getting in I would just make sure you go with sturdy wooden construction. Especially if you aren't really confident on how to do it. If you bought one you could be sure that nothing would break in.

Maybe you could consider bringing the rabbit indoors? It might be less expensive to buy a cage, and it would be much safer.

It sounds like you may need to enclose your property better. Electric fences really aren't effective if the dog is determined or fast. Even though you can't do much about that, you can put a solid fence up. As this may not be the most cost effective option, you could build a smaller fenced in area and have the pen/hutch in there. You could try a chain link dog run (is enclosed on 4 sides and the top) and add some smaller mesh around the bottom. This would be sturdy and keep the dog out. You could try buying some chain link from a hardware store and making your own run.

Since the dog has getting your rabbit before, you can almost guarantee he will try again. You need to have a secure run for the rabbit. I would at the very least put a strong fence around the hutch/run to keep the dog from even getting to the run.

I agree- you need a solid fence around your garden. If you can't trust your neighbours dogs, you will need to supervise your rabbit when she has exercise time in the garden. If you can't give many hours out there (obviously it might be hard while supervising), give her the rest of her exericse time in the house with you.

You'll need a heavy run, with thick wood and thick wire- no chicken wire. My Dad built my rabbit's run, and it's so heavy that it needs wheels really to move it.
The lid folds into triangles, and really only a human can do it. If it was a flip lid then maybe a determined dog could get in...but I doubt it the way it is constructed.

P1010140-1.jpg

The partition opens when I'm there, so they have the full run of the run.

I dragged this run once and totally hurt my back lol.

Building your own hutch will cost more for sure (if you build it properly) than buying one, but will be more sturdy, and you can built it bigger for really not that much more money etc. Converting a shed is even more cost effective and can give even more room! (which is what I've done).

If you are going to build a sturdy fence around your garden I would recommend building it into the ground a few feet as well, in case the dog decides to dig in.

With the combination of the sturdy fence built into the ground, the sturdy and heavy run etc. this should really help.

Jen

>: ( if that would have been me I would first aim a hard kick at the dog. Then go and scream my... Butt off at the neighbours and make them put up a better fence or I'd go to the law about a leash law violation with a not so safe dog involved. But that's just me. For you I would suggest the last bit about the leash law violation with the not so safe dog and talking to the neighbours about it. Then I'd get an off the ground hutch made/built. And test it myself by jumpping and kicking at it and such (dogs are a lot stronger then that, so if a foot goes through then it will not stand against a deturmined dog). The dog doesn't sound safe at all to me and should be in a fenced in area by law.

Thanks for all the advice guys!

@Luluznewz right now my bunny is kept indoors in her cage but I want to be able to let her our & get some fresh air!

@Aquarex trust me, i went to my neighbor and yelled but because they live on the same street I don't want to cause a ruckus and get the police involved. Hopefully the dogs will get out again but there's no guaranteeing it...I also don't want to build an enclosure above the ground because I want my bunny to be able to eat the grass.

To everyone else, unfortunately putting up a fence around the garden is not a possibility because of cost...most likely I'm going to start building something sturdy with the help of my friend. I'll post photos once we get farther along. :)

Latest posts

Back