Loud tummy noises

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnymommy76

Reaction score
Southern Suburb of Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's always something. My boy pidge is being treated for a jaw abcess with the Bicillin, it seems to be helping the size of it, ithas gone down tremendously. Problem now is that for the past 3-4 days it has taken him forever to eat his greens and this morning he didn't eat them at all!! I did notice last night and this morning that his tummy was making all kind of noise. I called the vet and the soonest they could get him in is 3:30 today, this seems like an etertiny, what can I try or do to keep him comfortable for the next 6 hrs before seeing the vet???

He did have a few licks of applesauce, and he did drink some water that I added some juicy juice to, but hes not interested in eating at all, especially his pellets he usually scarfs those down in 10 mins, they have been sitting there all night. :?

I don't know if its his teeth, if the increased dosage of the bicillin bothered him, or if he ate something that upset his tummy, i did notice yesterday that a huge piece was missing from his willow ball, there were no remnants of it around so he must of ate it.

I don't know what to do, I feel so helpless, this is going to be the longest 6 hours ever!

julie

sounds like he has some gas. warm rice sock and tummy rubs at least to start off with also some simethicone as that helps too. sounds like something is buggin his tummy a bit

Hey Julie, Sounds just like gas to me.

This time of year its very prevalent in bunnies with the change in weather/stress or injesting of hair from shedding. I hope your vet was able to listen to his gut and determine what it was.

If it is gas, you'll want to start him on simethicone (infant gas drops). You can give 1-2 ccs to start him out and then 1 cc every few hours. Belly rubs also work well too and help you monitor how his tummy is feeling. Just make sure it doesnt feel very hard or distended. Try to avoid carbs and sweets and get lots of fiberin him a la hay, hay, and more hay. Keeping him hydrated will also help.

Please let us know how he's doing. I hope its nothing serious.

Haley

Just a little update on Pidge. We didn't see his regular doctor, she wasn't there so we had to have someone else. She really didn't give me a lot of answers, she felt his belly and said "yeah something is irritating his stomach"

I know this, that's why I brought him in! She really didn't say if it was gas or give any specific answers. She gave him some fluids and sent him home with Reglan.

He did eat about 2 cups of greens last night, I wish he would eat more hay though! It's slow going and his poops are still pretty small. I did pick up some infant drops and unflavored pedialytle when I was out today so we will try that. I'm going to call in the morning and see if I can get an appointment with his regular doctor, just to be on the safe side! I just got concerned that he didnt have some sort of blockage the way he demolished his willow ball.

You guys seem to think its more on the gas side though because of all the noise?

thanks for always being so supportive

Julie

his poops aren't as small, but still small, definitly not normal. I did rub his tummy a bit, that created more noise. I actually just tried to do it again a little while ago and he wouldn't let me even touch his belly that time. I do have a cup of greens out for him now and just gave him the reglan. He's just sitting there though, I wouldn't say he's lathargic, but I can tell in his eyes he doesn't feel good.

julie

Are you giving him simethicone? I would be giving 1-2 ccs every few hours. If you can hear loud rumblings its gas. Also, as long as he's eating and pooping dont panic. Sometimes people panic and overcompensate- sending them into GI stasis by trying different things and upsetting their usual routine.

Id just make sure he has lots of hay and greens and fluids and keep up with the simethicone.

I just bought some this afternoon and just gave him a little bit, it was less than 1 CC, I guess I can increase that, I wasn't sure how much I could give him. Actually that was about 5 hrs ago, I think I'll try giving him more of that! Thanks!

julie

Yeah you really cant OD on simethicone. I would give him 2 ccs right now and then 1 cc later tonight and in the morning.

Just wanted to give an update on Pidge.

I took Him back to the vet today, He saw his regular doctor that we like! She seems to think all the tummy trouble is from the increased dosage of the Bicillin shots. She suggested putting him on some Bene-bac to see if that helps. If not, she said we can't have a bunny with an upset tummy all the time and suggested surgery again to remove the abcess, I really didn't want to do this. I hope the Bene-bac works.

He is better today, he ate 2 cups of greens and nibbled on his hay today, he even ate his pellets!! He's slowly improving, I just wish the poops would look better, they are still pretty small.

poor guy, I hope he doesn't get to stressed out and get worse again because mommy's going out of town, and grandma's going to watch him for 5 days. I hate to leave him at a time like now, but the airline won't give me a refund!:?

julie

So glad he's doing better, yay!

You could leave Grandma some notes on what to do in some instances should something happen or to call you and you can tell her what to do. I hope he's better and is totally fine while you're gone, I'd hate to have you worrying, but of course you will;).

You could give her your logon info if she has any questions, we can help her out:). Members have done this in the past, just in case:).

I'm so glad that you've come around the bend - so to speak! I think giving her the list of things to "question" and phone numbers to calll - you would be o.k. But "were" always here, so give her the website (with local phone numbers) and your good to go!

Im so glad to hear he's feeling better.

Bicillin doesnt usually have an effect on their GI tracts like other drugs so Im very surprised she thought that was causing this. Did she listen to his gut and/or do xrays? Did she think it was gas or something else?

Max was on Bicillin for about 8 months with no trouble. I really hope you can keep with the meds and avoid surgery.

Oh and tell your mom were here to help if she needs anything while youre away.

*hugs*

Haley

yeah, I found that unusual myself because everything that I have read on the board here even said that it was rare that it bothered their stomachs. I don't really know, she didn't say that it was gas. From all the noise though thats what I would think though!

He does seem even better today, his poops are finally starting to look more normal and he did eat more greens this morning than he has been. Actually when I got up this morning he was eating hay, I was so glad, because he kind of neglected his hay the past couple days. He's slowly coming around!

Thanks for all your support again, I will leave numbers and instructions for grandma, I'm sure the 2 of them will be fine!

julie

Latest posts

Back