Loud Gurgling noise after surgery

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

downtownbuns

Reaction score
My bunny had sugery today. He is on pain meds, eating back to normal, but loud gurgling noise is coming from stomach and can be heard from across the room. is this normal after surgery?

He had a bladder flush and tooth trim. He did not touch his pellets this morning but is eating hay. He is on metacam, bactrim, and valium. I gave him baby gas meds, which seemed to help. His stomach feels a little distended and doughy.

Some intestinal upsets create increased motility., as can occur with e-coli.The toxins from the bacterium have been shown to sometimes stimulate excessive contractions in the gut, hence the owner hearing loud gurgling noises. The noise results from gas production . This means the gut is moving but isn't properly processing food.
if he is eating hay that is great , if he is pooping normal that is even better.
I would be concerned that he is getting adequate hydration .Are you giving him sub Q fluids or do you see him drinking fluids? If not you may need to syringe fluids like unflavored pedialyte and/or call your vet and ask about getting sub q fluids for him.

Since he is on an antibiotic he may have a gut bacterial imbalance and need a probiotic like benebac. Can you get that from your vet? I think it would help.

Giving simethicone is great and you can repeat doses about 3-4 times ...

I am unsure but think that valium could slow the gut a little but am not sure about the use of valium as I have never used it.

His stomach has quieted down. He has been straining to get drops of pee out. This is with the Metacam and Valium. The vet said that this was to be expected, due to the fact that he had a catheter inserted for bladder flush. I am really besides myself right now because he quietly wimpered during his subq this afternoon. I have not dealt with a bunny this ill before. The vet said that today and tomorrow may be difficult for him. The sensation that he is feeling is quite similar to what a human goes through with a stint. Hubby has been through that, and it is not fun. I can not imagine how a little bunny feels. Sorry all that I can not give an answer yet about the Chicago transport. I know that this puts a lot of people in limbo.

I've no medical advice to offer, but I just wanted to say that I'm thinking of you and Judah and I really hope he improves soon....

:hug: Jen

Latest posts

Back