Loud Digestion: A Question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
By now, most everyone knows that my one bun, Zoe, has digestive issues (exact cause yet unknown). For three days now, I've fed her a tiny amount of peppermint leaves--her first form of fresh produce in 1.5 months' time. I also put a enzyme-probiotic compound on them, as instructed by the vet.

She's still active and producing poop (some of which are misshapen and somewhat moist to the touch, rather typical for her). And her gut still feels normalto the touch. Still, when my head is near her--even several inches away--I hear the gurgling/ popping sounds of her disgestive system.

As long as she remains alert/active,produces fecals and doesn't feel overly bloated, might it be okay to continue giving her peppermint? Or are loud digestive sounds always a precursor to GI stasis (and the herb should be stopped)?

Thanks,

Jenk

I can only tell you form my experience but my Saffy does that i can be sitting wuite the thing and hear her tummy gurgle. She has always been fine though no GI I would keep going as long as all her signs are good. But I would be interested to see what others ahve to say.

Give Zoe a nose rub from me poor girlie does not have the easiest time with her tum

polly wrote:
I can only tell you form my experience but my Saffy does that i can be sitting wuite the thing and hear her tummy gurgle. She has always been fine though no GI I would keep going as long as all her signs are good. But I would be interested to see what others ahve to say.

Give Zoe a nose rub from me poor girlie does not have the easiest time with her tum
As long as Zoe remains "normal" in all other aspects (continues pooping, remains active and sleeps on her side)--and unless I learn otherwise from other members--I intend to keep giving her 1-2 peppermint leaves each morning.

I tried listening to her gut later today with my stethescope; shewouldn't have it (kept shoving away my hands with her snout and once nibbled the scope's head). :? But at least I didn't hear loud gurglingwhile my head was near her.

I will certainly give Zoe a nose rub for you, to pass on your well-wishes for her. :D

How loud is loud? When Loki was in stasis (from impacted molar roots) I could hear the occasional gurgle from across the living room! That would be maybe once every 15+ minutes. Fey (hotot/megacolon) is sometimes the same when she is ill.

I can sometimes hear gut sounds when my head is very near to a rabbit. If the gut sounds are rhythmic and fairly even, then all should be good. If you hear loud, non-rhythmic gurgles then there may be some bigger gas bubbles moving around. The scariest is when you don't hear any sounds even with a stethoscope. I bought a stethoscope when Loki was ill, tried it out on him and it scared the poo out of me because I couldn't hear anything while the healthy buns had rythmic sounds.

naturestee wrote:
How loud is loud? When Loki was in stasis (from impacted molar roots) I could hear the occasional gurgle from across the living room! That would be maybe once every 15+ minutes. Fey (hotot/megacolon) is sometimes the same when she is ill.

I can sometimes hear gut sounds when my head is very near to a rabbit. If the gut sounds are rhythmic and fairly even, then all should be good. If you hear loud, non-rhythmic gurgles then there may be some bigger gas bubbles moving around. The scariest is when you don't hear any sounds even with a stethoscope. I bought a stethoscope when Loki was ill, tried it out on him and it scared the poo out of me because I couldn't hear anything while the healthy buns had rythmic sounds.
A few nights ago, Zoe's gut was loud enough to be heard a few times when I was sitting upright, maybe 1-1.5 ft. away from her. Last night and tonight, I've not heard her gut from afar; but my ear pressed to her side reveals some fairly loud gurgles and pops. (It helps to have Emma for comparison, in one sense: Her gut is more quiet and rhythmic. She's my control, so to speak.)

I have found that Fey's stomach sounds aren't quite as rhythmic even when she's feeling good. That makes since because some of the research on megacolon says that the nerves controlling the intestines aren't distributed properly, so they might not move evenly and fluidly like they would in a normal rabbit.

Latest posts

Back