Losing too much weight?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wordstoasong

Reaction score
All the rabbits I've ever owned live outside. All through summer and winter. And they've never had a problem with weight.

My two new bunnies, I got them this summer, have lost their weight badly. They are bony and skinny! I don't know why. I give them pellets (I did give them suncrunch, but they don't like it) and fresh veggies and hay.

Any suggestions?

BTW, they are in my "barn" (it's a wooden shed) with fluffy bedding and rugs ontop of their cages.

I guess the first question to help you figure this out would be the pellets, let us know what you are feeding now;).

Also, could you add your location to your profile so we help you better as we'll know where you're located? A country will suffice, thanks!

Hi,

I think more information is needed here. You mentioned "new"....how long have you had them? Did they live outside where they were? What are their ages, breeds and weights? Are you feeding them the same as they were getting before they came to you? How much weight have they lost?

Weight loss can be caused by a number of things. Stress, illness, infection, dental issues....and one that I see in lots of rabbits that live or have been outside....intestinal parasites. You don't have your location in your profile (your general location can assist us in helping you with a variety of issues) but if it is unusually cold or they are not properly acclimated to the cold...it burns a lot of calories to keep warm.

If you could provide the additional info, we might be able to come up with something to help.

Randy

Ok I added my location, sorry about that.

AnglenSnuffy: I don't use Suncruch. My sister buys it for her guniea pigs, and suggested I should get it for my bunnies, but mine didn't like it, so I went back to my usual food. I'll go grab the bag for the information in a second.

ra7751: I don't know their age or breeds, I'll have to ask the person I got them from. But I do know they are of adult size and I got them August 2007. I am feeding them the same as they had been feed before I got them. I'm not too sure on how much weight is lost on them currently. They lived in a barn with horses before I got them, and now they live in my "barn/shed" with lots of hay for bedding, and blankets/rugs on their cages. I live in NW Ontario and we haven been having a "cold snap" for the past 2 weeks.

EDIT:
missyscove: The pictures in my intro where from the day they came to me. =]

I looked into the Suncruch....I don't think it would be something I would use with my rabbits. Honestly, if both of them are losing weight....I would suspect either something going on with the food (unlikely since they are on the same food as they were previously)...or more likely intestinal parasites. If they were here....I would performa fecal (just to see but fecals are not 100% accurate) but I would treat for parasites. The best treatments for parasites are prescription drugs (don't know if they require RX in Canada). But here, if I have multiple buns with issues at the same time...I look for the common denominator. If all else in their lives are equal, I suspect parasites. If it were something like an illness or a dental issue, it is unlikely that both of them would be affected at the same time.

Randy

I would suggest going to the vet to run some tests. when my bunny lost weight really fast it turned out to be a dental issue. but as others suggest it could be parasites.

Thank you for the information everyone. I'll bring them to the vet and check over their feed. I'm leaving them inside my house tonight, to watch over them. Thanks again. Will update this.

Rabbits need more calories provided by a good food to generate the energy they need to keep warm in the winter.

If their water is freezing, they'll eat less. You can add some moist foods (in addition to the ones you are providing) such as carrots and apples to add additional moisture to their diet (make diet changes gradually).

A high calorie supplement for dogs/cats can be used to increase their calorie intake.

They should be examined by a vet to rule out health problems that may be related to the weight loss.

In this cold weather, it is imperative that you address this issue ASAP. You might consider bringing your rabbits inside until they have increased their body mass.

Pam

UPDATE: FEB. 4/08

They are both gaining their weight back nicely since they have been inside the house now. I'm guessing the weather was too cold for them. So yeah. That is all. =]

Latest posts

Back