Long Island Fair

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueGiants

Reaction score
The Long Island Fair will be held September 25th through September 28 at the Old Bethpage Restoration in Old Bethpage, NY. It is a representation of an old 1890's style fair with animals and crafts, agriculture and entertainment.

There is an 1800's restoration of houses, stores, shops, a working farmand a church. Reenactors will be give demos of 1890'sactivities and crafts. Plus all kinds of entertainment. There are old fashioned rides and a nice petting zoo area. It's usually a real good time for the whole family. Locals put their hand made crafts on display for judging, as well as local grown flowers andfruits, (some of the biggest pumpkins and gourds I've ever seen!), home made pies and preserves, baked goods, etc.

I'm really excited, I've beeninvited tobe the superintendent ofthe Rabbit show portion of the Fair. As of now, we'll have 15+ of the most popular breeds on display (over 60 rabbits). I'll have brochures about proper rabbit care and be demonstrating proper rabbit handling. (And maybe introduce a few people to the idea of rabbits as companion animals!). This is not a sanctioned show, but it will be a lot of fun if anyone will be in the area that weekend.

Too bad I liveso far from you. If I was just alittle bit closer, I would be there. :p

Are you showing rabbitdisplaysfor four days? Where are you going to keep the rabbits overnight?

The Fair provides cooping, and I will be there everyday from opening to closing to make sure NO ONE touches the rabbits. I'll do all the feeding and watering, not cause I have to, (they have workers for that),but because I want to... my rabbits will be there and other people are trusting me with their rabbits. I need to make sure that each rabbit stays on it's own diet and no one gets stressed out. (Everyone around here works long hours... they can't get there everyday... )

BlueGiants wrote:
NO ONE touches the rabbits.
That's what we do at our displays, because our insurance won't cover if someone got bit. However we can't control everyone from poking their fingers through the cages.

But it's a delight to see all the children's happy faces...

2eftgms.jpg

mhbtll.jpg

Actually, I'll be holding some of my Flemish and letting people "pet" (the back end!). I have a few that are so used to being handled, they enjoy the people and getting pet. Oprah loves to go on her leash and run around. But for the most part, the cooping will be roped off to prevent any scratches or nips.

BlueGiants wrote:
Actually, I'll be holding some of my Flemish and letting people "pet" (the back end!).

I think most people will be intimated by the sheer size of the Flemish to actually pet it. :p

2psrv5g.jpg

The youngster here tried but didn't want to touch the lionhead...:D

Latest posts

Back