Lonely Bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RebeccaUK

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I just wondered what your thoughts were about the following:

My husband and I both work long hours 5 days a week - I'm talking 12hours out of the house per day. During this time my poorbunny Benjamin is left on his own in his garden run. We'rehoping to introduce him to a new bunny who we're rescuing from theshelter in a few weeks but I'm becoming increasingly worried aboutBenjamin getting lonely. It was something I had neverconsidered before but I'm starting to feel guilty leaving his cutelittle face behind on a morning and I spend all day wondering what he'sup to. Do you think it's affecting him being left for suchlong periods or am I worrying for nothing? He's perfectlysafe all day and spends the day grazing on grass, sitting about andhaving the occasional run and when the new bunny comes the grand planis that they will become the best of friends and keep each othercompany (Easier said than done I know). Does anyone have anycomment to make on this?

Bonding occurs most easily between buck and doe,doe and doe, and buck and buck, in that descending order of likelihoodof success. While, rabbits are social animals, if youinteract with him daily and he seems to be normal, leaving him alonewill probably produce no harm. The key qualifier isif you interact with him daily.

Being alone in the garden could be problematic if there are hawks,owls, fox, or even large cats in your neighborhood. Unlikemost rabbit owners, we permit some of our rabbits to free range daily,but we have a "safe house" on the ground for them to retreat to, withstaggered entrances/exits externally and internally, hopefully enablingthem toevade any potential predators that might come along.

We think the risk incurred in free ranging gives them a higher qualityof life than if they were permitted to only run loose for an hour or sooccasionally, but that is something everyone must make a decision abouton their own.

Buck

Hopefully Benjamin will interact well if we getour Doe soon. The one I have my eye on is very calm andhopefully will integrate into the family.

The run in the garden is completely safe. My husband made itand it took him days! It is mesh on three of the sides andthe fourth side is made of wood, the top is completely meshed over asis the floor - almost like a huge mesh cube with a wooden frame to holdit in place, I'd say it's about 3 metres cubed so it's a nice big spacefor him - and perfect for sharing when another bunny comesalong! There is also a hutch in the run with the main doorpermanently wedged open so he has an area to run and hide if needs bealthough he does prefer to sit outside even in the rain!I'ma big believer in allowing him some exposure to theelements, I don't rush him inside when it rains or when it's a littlewindy. He has even been out in his run when there has beensnow on the ground - which he sees as great fun todig in!

Anyway, thanks for replying and yes I do interact with him every dayalthough sometimes I may only be able to spare 2 hours or so but othertimes it can be 5 or 6 hours if I'm off work. You made mefeel better about it - I guess he's pretty good at putting the sulky'don't leave me' face on just as I'm setting off for work on a morning.

Rebecca. x

Back