Little girl / boy bonding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indiechixor

Reaction score
Hello, i'm new!

My husband and I adopted rice cake about a month and a half ago, and recently had the oppertunity to add an addition to out home with a little girl who had a bad bonding experience w/her previous owner and was given away.

Rice Cake is around 11-12 months old and neutered. He's always been slightly aggressive since we got him, but recently only ever nipping at me if he's afraid.

Baby Cakes (both named by their previous owners! small world) is a rather young, probably around 6-8 months old, shy little girl who is sweet and never gets in trouble. She isn't spayed (yet) but we'll be making the appointment soon (i knew she was too young)

I've been trying to bond them slowly and they have "play time" about 6-12 mins every couple days, but Rice Cake (male) has gotten past his 'humping' phase w/her and gone to full-out aggression- grunting, charging, and biting her neck/head. We seperate them instantly and let them cool off a bit, then put them back in their cages side-by-side.

They'll have a trip to the vet together (want to get his nails trimmed) but i'm afraid to put them in the same carrier...i tired the laundry basket thing out and they just ran in circles, him chasing her.

She doesn't have a sour attitude about him and in a room she'll go over to see him, then he'll chase her.

They've been neighbors for 2 weeks now, and I know thats too early for any real improvements, but is there any hope for these two?? Do you think that once she's spayed he'll calm down?

P1019189.jpg

P1019190.jpg

Where do they have play time together? Is it a totally new place for both of them, or have they been there on their own before? Neutral territory is really important.

Welcome! And what cute buns you have!

I come from the thought that when bonding two bunnies together anything and everything is possible. And that should be paired right up with "never say never." But, some rabbits bond quickly while others can take a very, very long time. Did I mention it could take a VERY long time?!

I think you're doing everything right. I would just continue to be patient and keep doing what you're doing. It is possible that they'll never get along, but, really, I don't think it's likely. Have you considered taking them both out of their "territory" and into a neutral area such as on a dining room table or in the bathtub? Sometimes that helps. And I'd also definitely consider placing them both in the same carrier on the way to the vet appointment for your baby girl. However, for added caution, would it be possible for another person to go with you and sit with them in the back should anything happen? Most bunnies and other small animals (such as guinea pigs) are forced to cuddle one another during such trips and I'd never underestimate the power of forced bonding (in a controlled situation of course).

I'd keep everything up. Spaying the girl may help, but I don't know for sure since she's not the one initiating the fighting, chasing, and whatnot. How recently has Rice Cake been neutered? If it's only been recent, he may still need some time to get rid of his hormonal urges. Andif not, he may just need some more time.

Good luck to you and your adorable bunnies! I look forward to updates, pictures, and getting to know you all better! Again, welcome!

Oh how cute for them to be friends?! :inlove: I have no expertise, but have read many a post that does take for sometime, at times, for it to happen so I would think slow and steady is the course.. The Vet visit sounds like a good idea, but definetly with someone who can reach in and intervene..

Sounds like you are doing the right things though (keep in mind the "neutral" territory - this seems to be key in bonding).

Good luck and can't wait to hear how the Vet visit goes! Even if they dont's go in the same carrier - I'd have them in 2 separate carriers but face-to-face at all times so they can "share" the same experience..

Good luck!

Until she is spayed I would not introduce. You want to minimize the chance of bad memories. She will be different when spayed so that could make him even more aggressive. Honestly if he is that aggressive it can get worse. I would take a break until she is spayed and healed. Let them start fresh after.

I agree with JadeIcing, I would get her spayed and then try again. You said she is about six months old now? She should be old enough to get it done now then. Naturstee made a good point too, neutral territory is absolutly essential to bonding. He won't accept her if they are meeting each other on "his" turf.

Latest posts

Back