Little bit OT

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreamgal042

Reaction score
When i first got my guinea pig Rolo, he wasliving with another family who had to give him away. I was apalled athis condition though. his entire backside was covered with dried urine,or thats what i assumed. there was no wood in his cage (which they gaveme), and his water bottle was completely brown with dirt or mold orsomething. so i cleaned him up, gave him wood, took the newspaper outof his cage and put in bedding, and got him a new water bottle. but nowi notice that both his water bottle and Ivory's are starting to getthat brown stuff. How can it be gotten rid of/prevented?

Changing it more often? Is the weather gettingwarmer where you are? It could be that it's just a good breeding groundfor mold and whatnot and needs to be refreshed on a regular basis.

~M

You can clean it out with bleach at least once aweek. We simply add a small amount of chlorox to the watersystem to prevent bacteria and algae.

The brown stuff you see is most likely "Iron Algae" a the brown, slimeyalgae that is common is well water systems. We had it in ourwell water when we lived in the country. It's harmless,however can indicate the presence of unclean, bacteria laden water.

Pam

Latest posts

Back