litterbox issues

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crescent

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I just got another rabbit a few months ago. He is a neutered male approx. 9 months. He gets along great with my other one, a 4 year old spayed female. Lately he's been peeing next to the litter box.Hedoes usethe litterbox so it's not really an issue of him not being littertrained. When he's running free in my room he uses the litterbox fine. Any thoughts on how to fix this behaviour or what's causing it? Thanks!

~Cres

What size is the litterbox? I would try possibly getting a larger one to see if that may work. He may also be sticking his bum over the edge of the litterbox and peeing outside of it. My Georgie literally sticks his bum over the edge of his litter box (an x-large cat one) and pees over the edge.. not a nice surprise since I don't notice it until it starts reeking!

Until then, just keep cleaning it with vinegar and put the papertowel you cleaned it with back into the litterbox to keep sending him the message that is where pee goes!

:)

it's a pretty big one! It's one of those stackable storage containers. The sides are high enough that he can't pee over the edge. I'll definitely try putting some of his pee inside the litterbox and see what happens! Thanks!

IDK? Ifyour really worried you could have a vet check him. Hopefullya expert who knows more about bunnies will read this andwill help you more.

Maybe it's nothing. :biggrin2: April

This might be a totally silly idea...but maybe try turning the litterbox sideways, so the long side includes that area he likes to pee in? I really don't know if that helps at all, but I figured better to suggest it than to not! :)

My buns do this. I also have an xl cat box. What I did was block all sides of the litter box but one. They had to get in on that one side. I put mine in a corner so 2 sides were covered and then I put a box or toys or something that blocks their spot of going on the third side. The fourth side I left open so they could get in and out. Putting a bunch of stuff around the box really helped mine. They couldn't get to their normal spot of going on the floor so they went in the box.
Good luck

Thanks guys! I will definitely try it but I will have to block a lot of area! I've moved the litterbox to all the different places he likes to pee and.. he just ends up peeing somewhere else..

Like Spring was saying, soak it up with a paper towel and put it in the litter box. That's what I do when I start litter box training. IDK? Maybe have him vet checked to make sure there's no medical problems.

sometimes moving the box over the spot he is using works,lol.

Latest posts

Back