Litter Troubles

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pasofan4u

Reaction score
Hey Guys! Well I decided to get a 2nd Bunny to keep Flea company! His name is Tic! I have been trying to litter train Tic as Flea is completely box trained. Well Tic will go EVERYWHERE but in the litter box. Will her fancy free bathroom habits rub off on Flea? Any tips for training Tic? Thanks Guys!

It it just poop or pee? How is the cage set up - is there bedding in just the litter box, or all over? If you have bedding in the rest of the cage, take it all out and just have litter in the litter box. Make sure you have hay in the box as well.

If it's poo, that may be unavoidable until they're bonded. Some bunnies go crazy with marking their territory, especially with poo, when there is another rabbit around.

Thanks for your reply! The only area I have litter is the litter pan. It is both pee and poop..They have a very large indoor cage and free run of the kitchen when Im home. How long does the bonding process take usually? Is it normal for the new bunny to do the marking?

I believe it is normal for a new bunny to pooh and pee eveywhere. Mine were doing ok sharing a cage but they are both girls and both unspayed and one is a baby yet. The baby (she's 4 months old) goes well in the litter pan, the older one is territorial and I believe that's why she won't go. So they are seperated at night and Fluffy is getting better. They won't be sharing a cage until they are both spayed. When bunnies are spayed or neutered, it's supposed to be easier to bond and litter train.

I pick up the poops and put them in the litter box everyday and put hay where they can reach while they are in the litter pan. I have 2 bunnies and 3 litter pans. One on Happy's part of the cage, one on Fluffy's part and one outside the cage when they are out playing. It seems to be working since they are now seperated.

I hope this helps a bit. I'm still learning about the bonding and litter training thing as well.

It's normal for either the new bunny or the old residents to mark with pee or poop (though poop wars seem the most common with otherwise litter trained buns). Just pick up the poos and put them back in the litter box, but keep in mind that it may be impossible to have two fully litter trained buns without bonding them. Some buns will always mark their territory with poo when there are strange bunnies nearby.

The bonding process can take anywhere from zero time to 6 months, depend on the personalities involved. Both will need to be neutered for at least a month before you begin, however. Not sure if your guys are already fixed or not.

I was waiting until Flea gets a little older to have him neutered. The poop war is at an all time high! I dont know how two bunnies can produce so much poop! Hopefully things will get better once Flea is fixed.

Thanks for sharing, I'm new to trying to train a bun. Just brought a lionhead home two nights ago and she will 4 months next week and we are trying to litter train. Any other information would be helpful

Latest posts

Back