Litter training.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michellexgix

Reaction score
Ok, So I am having trouble litter training my rabbit. He is a unneutered 7ish month old rabbit and I have him for 7 weeks. He is a small breed, a netherland mix is my guess. I know with his age and with him being unneutered it will make it more difficult, but I am planning to neuter him anyhow in a few months.

Ok, so first of all I tried to litter train him by just a plastic container I have at home and then just hay in it and dirty bedding. He used it as his bed and peed and pooed everywhere else so I took that out and left it for a while.

I bought a proper litter pan and proper litter for small animals. I cleaned out the cage and put nearly all the poo and all the wet bedding that was in the cage in to the litter pan and put it in a corner he usually goes in.During the nightI got a little bit of droppings outside, mostly inside, then the next day he was great, just a few droppings and one wet part, then this morning I got up and I say most of the droppings was outside the pan and pees. There is pee on his pigloo(which he doesnt go under but he climbs on top of) and pee on the side of the cage and in other random spots of the cage. I scooped them all up and keep putting any he does outside the pan into the pan.

Am I doing things right and anyother ideas to help him go?

what kind of litter are you using?

dont put bedding in the cage, leave it bare. only bedding should be in the litter box.

how is the cage setup?
what kind of cage is it?

after you see him poop outside the litter box have him watch you put the poop in the litter box.

nueterin will do the best for you. he is poopin everywhere to claim his territory and eventually itll become habit to not use the boc and itll be harder to potty train. but its doable with a lot of time and pateince.

and then still a rabbit will make a mistake every now and then..

i used a box and put the litter as far away from the food as possible (most rabbits will not do their business near their food). then you put the bunny in the litter box every 15 minutes or so and any droppings that do not end up in the box you put in yourself then place the bunny in the box right after. you have to be constant with it. they will get the hint eventually. it only took mine a few days to get the point, where as it might take a week or 2 for another rabbit. it all depends on the rabbit in question. so just be patient.

also, you don't have another type of bedding in the cage other then in the litter pan do you? this could be confusing him.

Latest posts

Back