litter eating

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swanlake

Reaction score
i use the litter yesterdays news and fred likes to go in the litterbox and eat it. i don't know why, maybe because it looks like his pellets?

i just want to know if this will harm him

I don't use Yesterday's News because, unfortunately, it's not imported in my country. I've heard it's one of the best and safest litters in the market. If your bun eats a couple of pieces, I don't think it'd be a problem, since this litter is made of recycled compressed paper. However, if he really eats it in quantities, he could develop GI stasis, as if he ate pieces of shredded paper. So you should watch him. If you put hay on top of the litter, I guess I could solve your problem, since hay is safe and healthy for your bun.

Marietta

I use Yesterday's News and have for about 9 years now. I agree with what Marietta said. One more thing, sometimes it may look as though he's eating it, but maybe he's eating his cecals? Snuff does that, and at first I thought he was eating the litter as well.

I had to stop using Carefresh, another paper litter, when I rescued Fey and Sprite and they thought it was delicious. Well, after what they were fed I can't blame them, but...

I don't like to risk stuff like that. Do you have any feed or farm stores around you? Check out wood pellet litter, like Feline Pine but way more inexpensive. It's kiln dried so it's safe, unlike cedar or pine shavings. So far none of my buns care to nibble on the wood pellets.

Back