Litter Box

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjy7464

Reaction score
I have my lop ear/lion head mix in the house. I know that you can have a litter box for her to use. For about the last couple of days it's been ready stinking. I've been cleaning her out more the twice a day and it still stinks. what can I use for the litter box bedding?

I use wood pellets in my litter boxes and don't really notice a smell other than a woody smell when they are first used. You do have to clean it all out about once a week or it does start to smell, but that would go for any litter.

Also make sure you are cleaning the box well. I scrub my boxes with hot soapy water then spray and scrub a bit with a white vinegar/water mix. I do this every week when I empty the boxes.

Check your rabbit's scent glands as well. They can produce an odor as well.

I use a few sheets of newspaper to line the bottom of my litter box then put some hay on top. For some reason Rocky likes to 'go' wherever there is hay or newspaper. If I dont have something on top of the newspaper he will tear it to shreds though lol

Doing this I have to clean it twice a day, but I haven't got much option at the moment because I haven't found anything else that is suitable. And I have just got him little trained and dont want to have to start again if I change his routine again.

As for the stinking, what is it that smells, her number ones, twos or just herself? If it is her then it might be her scent glands, or she might have poo/pee stuck to her. If it's her poop it may even be her diet.

Latest posts

Back