Litter Box Training .

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovesmebunbuns12

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've never posted in the forums before, I'm new to this site xD

I have been emailing different Holland Lop breeders, and one suggested I should get two females. I have read rabbit magazines but I still have some questions about litter box trainingxD

- Is it better to use a hutch, cage, or pen to litter train in ? Which type of housing it better to train in ?

- Should the environment in which the rabbit is kept BEFORE litter training have bedding/hay/other materials that they could pee on comfortably? Would that discourage the litter box training ?

- If two females are kept together, would one of them discourage the other ? Is it best to train them separately ? Should I house them separately before the training ?

Sorry that is a lot of questions! :p I had one rabbit a while ago, but never used a litter box. As far as I knew, there wasn't litter boxes for rabbits. So I'm new to this topic! Thanks for any help! :D

lovesmebunbuns12 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I've never posted in the forums before, I'm new to this site xD

I have been emailing different Holland Lop breeders, and one suggested I should get two females. I have read rabbit magazines but I still have some questions about litter box trainingxD

- Is it better to use a hutch, cage, or pen to litter train in ? Which type of housing it better to train in ?

- Should the environment in which the rabbit is kept BEFORE litter training have bedding/hay/other materials that they could pee on comfortably? Would that discourage the litter box training ?

- If two females are kept together, would one of them discourage the other ? Is it best to train them separately ? Should I house them separately before the training ?

Sorry that is a lot of questions! :p I had one rabbit a while ago, but never used a litter box. As far as I knew, there wasn't litter boxes for rabbits. So I'm new to this topic! Thanks for any help! :D

The 2 females will do a lot better together if spayed when they reach about 6 months of age
You can train them together

Don't use litter on the bottom as that will encourage not using the box.

if they do not arrive together then you can not automatically put them together but must bond them
if they come as a pair and are housed together you can work with them together

Ohh. I have to spay them? Well, what does everyone think are the best companions, boy and boy, girl and girl, or girl and boy?

Thank you Angie luv! Those websites are really helpful :]

You can usually do well with 2 young sisters who have lived together since birth;they do need to be spayed because they may get aggressive with each other as they develop ; females ( will develop cancer in their life time if not spayed (85%)

if you want the possibility of a true 'love' match get a boy and a girl, however they will need to be separated until after there spay/neuter also

A brother and a sister may work

A boy / boy is the hardest even if neutered.

even after saying all of this you can never predict what you are going to get as they are all different and have diferent likes and dislikes and you have to be preapred for 2 singles.
I would advise going to a shelter and picking out an already bonded pair. that way you know what you've got. i have done this and it has been great.

They would already be spayed/neutered prior to adoption.

Latest posts

Back