Litter box habits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iluvmybuns

Reaction score
Why would a bunny with perfect litterbox habits revert into pooping randomly again? I thought it was just the couch, and that's where it started but now she just drops poops randomly throughout my house. No peeing anywhere else but the poops are driving me crazy and my boyfriend thinks it the nastiest thing in the world (?)

She has been spayed for quite some time so that isn't it...no new bunnies or anything....

Any ideas?

I know you said no new bunnies, but what about a change in circumstances? New living arrangements for you or her? Any new additions to the house?

It might be that she needs retraining, but it could also be caused by a medical problem, so it might be worth a trip to the vets.

In addition to what moominmoo said, I'm wondering if you have more than one litterbox out for her? Some extras would probably help her get back on track.

ec wrote:
In addition to what moominmoo said, I'm wondering if you have more than one litterbox out for her? Some extras would probably help her get back on track.
Yep, put another out and put her poops in it and if she has an accident with pee, wipe it up and put that in the box, that will help alot. Is she recently exposed to a much larger section of the house? This can and wll be a sign too, a change like that will let them think "This is a new area I need to mark";).

I moved the furniture around in the living room....so maybe that's it?! Okay I'll put out the smaller litterbox behind the couch and see if that helps.

I need to get their nails clipped anyway so I'll call my vet and see what she can do for me. Pepsi seems fine in every other aspect though.

Thanks guys!

I read a study that explained that bunnies regard a new arrangement as a new place and can be very unsettled with it, so it is probably this that did it.

The room will look totally different to them and she probably feels very insecure and needs to make everything her territory again.

Yes, extra litter trays is a must with toileting problems.

Ithink you are probably going to have to go back to basics.

Good luck with it :)

Hee.... You completely changed the terrain of her territory! That's why she's acting like she doesn't know what a litterbox is for. ;)

If you lie down on the floor and try to look at things from their eye level, you can see how the furniture looks like a forest (etc.). it's as if we're 60 foot trees when we're up walking around, from their level. Nibbles doesn't seem to understand that I can't squeeze myself in the tight little spaces she often prefers (under chairs) for hanging out. (Ditto for NIC grids; she can't seem to understand that they're a real barrier for me.)

I'm sure she'll get back to better habits once she's used to the new layout, but I'd keep a few extra litterboxes out 'til then, just to be on the safe side. :)

Actually toadd tohow interesting this is, just by rearranging furniture, this will create the illusion of neutral territory to them, so if you were bonding, it would now be a place you could do that, where as before, you couldn't. I just read that in my HRS Newsletter I got last week;).

hmm.... interesting! Though i wonder how (or if?) you could get them to believe that their smells are not around?

I rearange my house quite often. Oscar doesn't mind anymore, he enjoys it. He binkies and finds new favourite spots;)He used to remark his territory.

Normaly when I change things arround in the living room Oscar will go to our bedroom andrelax tilI'm done. Sometimes he decides to "help" and follows me arround while I'm moving things.

Oscar's just about two and has been here since he was a baby, I rearrange the furniture at least once every two months in every room so he's grown accutom to it. His litterboxes always stay in the same spots. His tunnels and forts get moved arround. He plays with them more when the're in a new spot;)

Oh and I try to keep his cage in the same spot. Now that it's a 3x4x2 nic it's not going n e where! lol

Thanks that gives me hope:)Considering I just got rid of a couch and will be buying a computer desk and chair. Hopefully she gets used to it like yours. Ozzy doesn't seem to care at all though thank God

BK loves it when I rearrange the furniture, he has his litter box in one spot though and it never moves.
The only time he pooped around the house was when he was ill.
Hopefully your bun is fully healthy, I am no expert but maybe she is having tummy troubles etc. Is she eating anything new? Lke Moominmoo said, a trip to the vets for a check up might be worth it.
I know bunnies are incredibly sensitive to the right diet.

Good luck and tell your partner, bunny poop is not that bad, they are vegetarians. If you own a cat, you will know there is a HUGE difference in how gross they can smell.

Its the bunny pee thats bad, not the poop....lol:biggrin2:

Latest posts

Back