litter box digging

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swanlake

Reaction score
so, for some reason fred/shadow, though i think it is more fred has just recently started to dig up their litter box, putting poop and littter on the ground, making a mess. at first i thought they were trying to get to the hay when they had eaten it all out of the litter box, but i keep putting more and more in and today they made the biggest mess yet. any clue why they are doing this? they didn't do it before.

:litterhealthy:

It's natural for them to dig. Bo digs blankies and Tony digs in the boxes. You can make them a box to play in - sand in a tall rubbermaid container sometimes works. Justa little sand like an inch. Some people make dirt boxes but I can't see that in my house! LOL!

I'm hoping next spring to make them a sandpit in an area I can put an xpen around and let them play supervised here.

Shredded or crumpled-up newspaper in a cardboard box (or a litterbox) is also really fun for them. Nibbles loves to dig and shred, so newspaper is one of her favorite toys. Sometimes I anchor it at one end with something heavy (like the edge of her ex pen) so that she has something to pull against - that's generally a big hit.

If you give your bun fabric to dig on, you'll need to keep any eye out in case there's any eating! I've found old bed sheets (flat) and grass mats to be safest and best for my bun's digging and shredding habits (along with newspaper). She loves the sounds her teeth and nails make on the sheets - "Zzzzip!!!"

I never even thought of the flat sheets! I have some old ones that the kids don't use anymore (disney, spiderman LOL) They would LOVE those!

An old phone book is really great too! We had a spot on our carpet that one of our girls started to pull up, and we put a phone book there instead....she spends hours ripping and digging through the pages!

She's gone through one book so far, we've started her on another! Your buns will be very happy, and stay out of their litter box!!:happyrabbit:

Bo B Bunny wrote:
I never even thought of the flat sheets! I have some old ones that the kids don't use anymore (disney, spiderman LOL) They would LOVE those!

Right. And then watch them jump on abed and eat the guest sheets. :biggrin2:

My guys have so much fun digging and chewing on towels, butIcreated some little monsters.:devil Allcloth is fair game -- even while I'm wearing it!

If they're still having their litter box fun after you try all these great suggestions (which haveall worked for me),I'd put the litter box inside a topless cardboard boxwith high enough sides to keep the litter from flying out. Just cut down one end to make it easy for them to get in and out. Most of the litter at least will hit the boxwalls and not fly overthe side.

Good luck with it!

sas :bunnydance:

Latest posts

Back