Lip Abscess

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pipp

Reaction score
Sekura's lip I thought was getting better, but today there's a definite abscess-like lump on it. I can't get to the vet today, should I try and drain and clean it or just wait?

sas

100_4717.jpg

100_4710.jpg

Now I'm thinking it may just be swollen and not abscessed, but I've never dealt with one (knock wood), so I'm not sure. There doesn't seem to be a hard capsule-like substance where the swelling it. She looks like she has a split lip with the top part just really swollen.

She let me clean it without too much protesting -- which reminds me, I forgot to give her a treat afterwards! :shock:--which I guess I should have been doing more often before it swelled up like that. :(

She has a vet's appointment tomorrow at 6 PM. I'm not sure they can do much, it may be long past being able to be stitched. I guess we'll see then.

Poor bunny!

Bun Buns, she was 'getting to know' the other bunnies in the house, and there was some biting through the fence as well as some in-cage misplaced aggression with her cage mate, Sugar. She probably was bitten more than once, she wasn't shy about getting 'in theface' of the other bunnies. She also ventured into Dill andSherry's territoryby jumping off the couch -- which Dill and Sherry had kindly, albeit reluctantly, given up to the new girls. But they weren't about to put up with further encroachment.

I've now given up on the idea of a peacefully co-existing little warren in favour of separate territories. (Now if they'd only stop markng them!)

sas

I would agree that it doesn't look like an abcess at all, but a bite wound. I have seen a friend's rabbit with a similar wound that occurred when a traveling cage lid lifted up a little during transport and the two rabbits bit each other through the gap. Wouldn't you know it happened on the way TO the show and not on the way home. Neither were shown that day, but they did heal up just fine. She kept the wounds cleaned, they healed up on their own.

Poor baby. Its hard to tell from the pics, but it doesnt look like an abscess from the outside. Hopefully the vet will be able to tell if it needs to be opened up and removed surgically.

Latest posts

Back