Large rabbit carrier bottom?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoolWaterRabbitry

Reaction score
We'll be purchasing a few large rabbits (around 9 to 10lbs fully grown) and I really would like to make my own transport carrier. I've seen a few online but don't really want to spend an arm and a leg on shipping+handling when I have the wire to build one.

Question is what do I use for a bottom?

I like the idea of a 24"x36" 4-hole carrier, but need a bottom to snap to it. :p

Ideas?

You mean you need a drop pan underneath the wire, right? I so, I do believe it's possible to order just the drop pans for carrying cages from places like KW Cages, etc. Otherwise, using a plastic tub that is sized a little bit bigger than the carrying cage works well too, I have seen it done before...not sure how easy the process of looking for one to fit would be though. ;)

Is a 4-hole carrier going to allow enough room for 9 to 10lb rabbits? Just curious, because I have 3 hole carriers, and they are a perfect size for Mini Rex, but I wouldn't put anything much larger than compact/small breeds in them. Larger breeds should have 2-hole carriers.

Emily

Yep that's what a drop pan is what I'm talking about, (very tired yesterday :p ).

Well, the 4-hole idea came from a breeder we were talking to, but it is just something I am taking a tab at. I know very well that any breed that large won't fit into the carriers we have know, even with the dividers taken out they only fit our Havanas and Hotots.

I'll take a peek at KW though, thanks. :)

Keep in mind that you still have to be able to carry the carrier with the rabbits. 4 10 pound rabbits would be heavy for one person to lift. Even if you have a cart or something, you still have to lift in and out of the car.
2 smaller ones (2 hole), might be better. It would possibly be easier to fit them in a car and to carry them.

RabbitOwner1986 wrote:
We'll be purchasing a few large rabbits (around 9 to 10lbs fully grown) and I really would like to make my own transport carrier. I've seen a few online but don't really want to spend an arm and a leg on shipping+handling when I have the wire to build one.

Question is what do I use for a bottom?

I like the idea of a 24"x36" 4-hole carrier, but need a bottom to snap to it. :p

Ideas?

Take a look at Walmart and see if you can find a shallow plastic container in a size you like. Drill holes in the sides to attach springs and s-hooks to hook to your carrier. I did that for our rat cage and it worked our really well.

Latest posts

Back