Large pen... where to get a cheap one?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yield

leo (they/them)
Reaction score
I need one that is large, and 3 feet tall at the least... I need to find a cheap one because I am not buying a stupid new one from some pet store for 70 bucks.

Anyone know where I can get one in Michigan?

Yeah, but how many NIC cube boxes am I going to need to make a large pen that is at least 3 feet tall?

Well I'm not sure about that but you could always look for a sale. Either way, I still think it would be cheaper to make one than it would be to purchase one.

Is this something you want to use indoors? Outside? For exercise or permanent housing?

I suppose, lol...
I'm currently trying to figure out how much it's gunna take..
I need it by at least Thursday..
>_<
Yes, I want to connect a pen to a large dog cage for inside the house.

Okay, Well once you have it figured out I would love to see it.

Are you getting a new bunny?

I just adopted another one (he's in my icon, Silas)... I get to pick him up Thursday because h's getting fixed. :)
And I just calculated it. To make a decent pen only 2 feet tall with NIC cubes, it would take 48. 16 come in each pack.
That'd mean I'd need three packs.
Which would be 63 dollars at Walmart, without tax.
I don't have enough money for that (mind you, I'm using my birthday money and my mom refuses to help me, because she didn't want me to get another rabbit. So I have to do everything myself)...
I found a pen on ebay... 50.99$.. free shipping.. 36" high.

have you tried Craigslist?

Yes.. but the cheapest one i found was 40 bucks.. FOUR PANELS, each 24"... that's SOO small. I'm like really pissed cause I found one for 10 bucks and as soon as I email the guy, he takes the listing off, and doesn't even email me back!!

UGH.
I hate people. Dx
I posted a status on facebook.
Maybe a friend will give me one.
*crosses fingers*

I don't know how big the dog kennel is that you're using - but here is another idea...

Don't get a pen like that - - instead get a baby gate and block off your room (or his room) during playtime and let him stay in the cage a lot.

I breed flemish and I use the big dog kennels - the one for 150 pound dogs and up is often open and 3-4 of my girls will go in there and nap together (meaning - its big enough to live in a lot). When I let my flemish out to play - they run around for 15-30 minutes and then just lay down anyway.

So if you gave him an hour playtime once or twice per day....he ought to be happy.

Just my opinion based upon my experiences.

I could take him into my parent's room... He can't go running in my room, I have sooo many cords hooked up. My tv, cable box, VCR, DV player, radio, phone cord, computer, xbox 360.. yeah I'm an electronic junkie... plus he's not litterbox trained yet.

The dog cage I have is for medium to large dogs I think.. I dunno the exact size. Solara and Sabriel used to share it and they had enough room to run around in it.

Thank you for the info :)
Anything else I should know about flemies?
It's my first one having one.. :)

Are you sure he would be able to jump a 36" fence? I have a giant angora who can't get over a 28" NIC fence. She does use it to stretch up for pets, but doens't want to go over it. You could try to a 30" x pen and it should be a bit cheaper. Some can even get away with 24".

Craigslist or Kijiji could also be good. If you don't find any postings, post your own ad. Include the height and what you are willing to pay.

Since he will have just been neutered, he will need to rest for a little while. Keeping in the cage at least until Monday or Tuesday would be good for the healing. This then gives you more time to find a suitable pen.

Garage sales can be great for pens. I have found tons on NIC grids at garage sales for less than half of the retail price. You might be able to find an x pen if you are licky or something else suitable.

Sorry I didn't answer sooner - I had to go to work.

If I remember right - your new boy is 2 years old. That means he'll probably be fairly settled and hopefully not much of a jumper at that age.

I find that my older flemish (about 18 months and older) tend to have two or three short active periods during the day - then they like the sleep the rest of the time.

Unfortunately for me - right now the 9 week old flemish "baby" that is playing at my feet is NOT like that at all. Talk about digging and getting into mischief...but even then....they tend to play in spurts for about 15-20 minutes and then spend a lot of time resting and/or watching.

One thing I've noticed with many flemish - is they often like to be by your feet -like a puppy would. They may decide to plop down at your feet and sleep while you're at the desk and then try to follow you around.

Then again - they may not. It depends upon the individual rabbit and their personality.

I know your guy is 2 years old...do you know how long he was in the shelter? I'm just curious as that may affect his personality also.

Kate, I'm not sure. He"s a little chubby. I don't think he could jump over it.. the pen we got (NIC cubes.. two 23 panel boxes for 36 dollars) is 86 inches tall I think. That's good he needs rest and needs to stay in the cage for a wile.. he can get used to sharing a room (pens well away from each other) with two other bunbuns and he can be properly litter trained.

Peg, That's okay. :) yeah he's 2 years old. I hope Silas likes to follow me and such :) He was not in the humane society for long... I always make sure I always look at the Humane Society's webpage.. just to see what rabbits they have and to see if the ones that have been there a while are there, or adopted. Well I was looking at a brown bun iwth helicopter ears, and they had accidentally wrote Silas's info there. I looked for him, found him, went and visited him, and adopted him.I never really miss a day looking for buns.. so he couldn't have been in there for more than a few days. :)

bunnyranch wrote:
You can make one of these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/3-Story-Rabbit-Bunny-Guinea-Pig-Cage-NEW-43x43x29-/310236197679?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item483b84b32f#ht_2061wt_865

It takes 44 cubes to make it. So that means you'll have to buy 3 Packages of grids for $21 each on Walmart.com. The cool thing is you have a few colors to choose from.
http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_constraint=4044&ic=48_0&search_query=storage+cubes&Find.x=0&Find.y=0&Find=Find
He's got a large dog cage for a cage, it was only a pen I was looking for XD
I found a 23 panel box of NIC cubes at Target for 17.79$...
We bought two boxes, and made a pen.
The pen has anair vent in it so he can lay on it if he get's too warm! :)
We just did black, cause it matches the dog cage. :)

What I do for my enclosure is to use Peg board from Home Depot. My cage cost ~45, but it is over 8' by 8' and 2'8" tall. Peg board is the stuff you put on garage walls, has some smaller holes in it ~.25" Diam.You can get a sheet for about $15 (4' by 8') and get it cut into 3 sections (2'8" by 4') you then use 3 zip ties to hold the pieces together (top, middle, bottom). Baically works like a large XPen. You can even fold up the pen when you have to move it by only cutting 1 section of zip ties; this will allow the pen to foldaccordian style. Wish I had some pics to explain better.

Latest posts

Back