Kirby has a scabby spot on his nose

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirbyultra

Reaction score
I'm so upset with myself...I don't know how this got here. I was bonding Kirby and Penny this afternoon and everyone was fine then. Penny has never bitten him or anything, so I am fairly certain it didn't happen during bonding. I went out later, and then this evening at 10:30 I saw this little dry, scabby spot on his nose.

DSC_0371.jpg

I don't know what it is or how he got it. It doesn't look like a bite of any sort. It doesn't look like there's any dried blood, but fur's missing. It just fees dry and scabby. Could he have done this to himself??

When I touch it he doesn't seem to be in pain.

Here is another closeup
DSC_0372.jpg

What should I do? Should I put something on it? If so, what?

Luvr of Wabbits and Polar Bears wrote:
Is it possible he just scratched himself?
Probably possible. I didn't hear any commotion but then again, i did go out and I ate something for dinner that didn't agree with me. I was bedridden for several hours, out like a light so I wouldn't have heard anything in the rabbit room. I did look at his nails. A couple of his nails looked a bit long. I trimmed them, but no blood or anything on them.

I don't know -- is this something I should worry about or maybe just a little cut/scrape? Can I put neosporin on it or something? I think he'll probably try to wipe it off :(

You can put a little ointment on it and watch for signs of infection. We had a buck slightly injure his nose and develop an abscess right in the nose area that had to be lanced.

feb12 038.jpg

Oh no, that looks awful :(

I looked at Kirby this morning. The little scab looks the same. He hasn't futzed with it at all. I'll dab some antibacterial ointment on it in a little bit. I would hate for it to become an abcess :(

How is Kirby's nose now?

Does the scab still look clean and healthy? Or is it looking raised or swollen at all? Can you touch it without any obvious discomfort to Kirby?

It's been a few days now, at least, so it should be on the mend, and not be painful to the touch for Kirby. If he flinches etc/ seems to hurt him then perhaps an abcess is beginning to form.

Jen

I touched it yesterday and he didn't react to it. It is still dry and scabby, not swollen at all. I'm proud of him. He has not picked at it at all :) it isthe same size and color as before

Latest posts

Back