kindling box size

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beth

Reaction score
My california white doe had babies yesterday, and they all died because she did not have them in her kindling box. This was her first time having babies and it could be due to inexperience of the doe. However she is a large doe, and the box measures 10"x15" . I was told that the box can be neither too small or too big, since she is a large doe is this box too small? she is able to get into the box, but not lie down. I have asked another rabbit breeder who sayed that if it is too big the babies get spread out and may not get nursed, and that the doe hovers over them to feed them and doesn't spend alot of time in the box anyway. Any advice would be appreciated. Oh in addition the doe did not pull out any hair or make a nest. she had 5 nice well developed babies that would have likely lived had they been born in a warm nest. Thanks, Beth:?

sometimes when they have the babies outside of the nest you have to move them, usually the doe will get the drift and follow suit. Once a doe has babies somewhere,they dont move them like a cat or dog will.

If she didn't pull fur, there was a good chance she didn't intend to take care of them. First time Mom's get confused by the hormones and her instincts.

If you still want a litter from her, I'd breed her back right away. She should still be in good condition. (She hasn't nursed or raised a litter, so breeding her back right away won't deplete her in any way.) A lot of does will get it right the second time.

Edited to add: The nest box should be 2" bigger than her (while sitting)on each side and above. She shouldn't have enough room to lie down, or shecould use it as a litter box or for lounging. 10 x 15 should be fine for a Cal doe.

Thank you for the insight, it was very encouraging. I will rebreed her this weekend. Thanks again, and take care. Beth:)

Latest posts

Back