Keeping my fingers crossed....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrampNPigeon

Reaction score
Well, if you guys watch any news at all you knowa hurricane just hit the Gulf Coast of Alabama and Florida.What you may not know is that area is my home. Since myhusband and I are military we are stationed in Utah right now but allof our families are there. The good news is that even thoughmy husband's grandmother and her 94 year old sister refused to evacuateand the eye went directly over them, we managed to get thru to themboth first thing this morning and they are okay. No power, nowater, but they have supplies to last them a while and miraculouslytheir phones are working so they should be okay and they have peoplecoming in to check on them pretty regular. Moregood news, I finally got hold of my dad this evening on a very scratchyhorrid phone connection but we were able to talk just long enough forhim to tell me that he, my new step-mom, and my niece are allokay. Not only that but half the barn flew away but thehorses were both okay (boarders) and the dogs are all fine aswell. My brother and my mother both evacuated like smartpeople. It will be a couple of days I'm sure before they areable to get home but they are okay. Also, my husband's momand step-dad evacuated early so we know (or are pretty sure anyhow)that they are okay. We haven't been able to reach them sinceTuesday so we're not sure where/how they are really but should beokay. Now for the bad news......my husband's mother's houseis about 1, maybe 2 blocks from the Gulf of Mexico where they weregetting the higest waves. With an estimated 6-12 foot stormsurge (rise in ocean water level basically) and 40-50 foot waves on topof that we're pretty sure her house is in the Gulf of Mexico by now....possibly the land the house was sitting on is under water still aswell. It will be a hard couple of days or even weeks beforeanyone is allowed into that area to determine actual damage.Please keep all of the families in the area in your thoughts... it willtake a long time to sort thru all the damage. I was there in'95 when Opal hit and it's damage was similar for the area it hit, butit wasn't anywhere near as wide so the damage from it wasn't asfar-reaching. My husband will prolly take emergency leave togo back and help his family re-build this next week unless they decidenot to rebuild. Anyhow... as I said... please just keepeveryone there in your thoughts... it's a rough time for many.

-Cheryl

Cheryl,

You are in my thoughts. Thank goodness all are safe, and I hope the damages are not too great.

Thoughts and prayers with you and yours, both inUtah and on the coast. Glad to hear everyone has survived sofar. Things can be replaced.but let us all hope the need forthat will be minimal in your family.

Buck

Oh it's awful that your family, and others, aregoing through this! I hope everything is alright and thatthey can rebuild their homes without this kind of tragedy happeningagain.

A woman I know on my Open University course is in that area just now,her husband is military too so she's moved from the UK, and our finalessay is due in by 1st October. She's contacted the OU totell them that she's been evacuated and cannot get to her mail (ourfinal essay questions are posted to us 2 weeks before the exam) butthey won't give her an extension! They say you have toprovide evidence for not being able to meet the deadline... someonesuggested she send the roof of her house!OUjobsworths just go to far sometimes!

geez... that reminds me of a professor I once knew...

I am a serious athsmatic... and one semester I had a very seriousattack. I was in the hospital for 12 hours getting treatment... soneedless to say I missed an exam with no warning to tell theprof. He demanded proof, as if the holes in my arms fromnumerous blood gas testing and an IV werent enough, coupled with ahospital bracelet. So the next day I handed him the bill fromthe hospital, which was a very hefty sum. He didnt sayanything after that.

But seriously, good luck with the family, those hurricanes have definitely not been kind as of late.

Gosh Pigeon&Tramp,

I had no idea that you were in that mess. You're mostdefinitely put into my thoughts and prayers. So glad to hearthat everyone's okay. Now the work begins;Whata mess! Keep us posted on how things aregoing.

-Carolyn

Update:

My husband's mom still can't get to her house and probably won't forseveral weeks but a friend that is in went by to check and said it'sstill standing at least....still don't know if it flooded any or notbut we're counting ourselves very lucky that it's even there since shelives so close to the actual Gulf. Things look like they aregoing to be okay for both our families. Yay!

-Cheryl

Back