keeping bunnies outside

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChocolateBunny

Reaction score
Hi, I built a hutch which will be kept outside. Its wether proofed with covered top, sides and back. It will be housing a buck and doe that Im going to be breeding and keeping as pets.
I am really worried about them living outside though for some reason.
I know TONS of bunnies live outside but wont they get really hot? or really cold? Or do they do ok outside?
Can someone please tell me about bunnies living outside and how they do.
Thank you:biggrin:

Hey,
Bunnies can do fine outside as long as their owners take care of them properly. I am not sure what your weather is like over there, how hot does it get in Summer? Rabbits cannot stand heat, they can do fine in really cold temps but really hot ones get to them. So in Summer you may need to keep them inside or in a shed or garage with a fan. Plenty of cold water and a close eye to make sure they aren't struggling.

If temps are extremely low in Winter, then you may need to move them into a shed or garage where it is a bit warmer. Plenty of food to keep their energy up and keep them warm. You also might have to defrost their water bottles several times a day.

Keeping rabbits outdoors is a lot more work then keeping them inside in my experience. Plus it is harder for you because no matter how cold, hot, windy or wet it is outside you have to go out and take care of them.

Also, just noticed you said you will be breeding them. That means you'll need at least three hutches then, if not four. One for the male, one for the female, and one for weaning babies. At 8 weeks you need to sepearte male and female babies so you may need four hutches then :)

Good luck, feel free to ask more questions if you have them.

Latest posts

Back