Just spend $105 at the vet!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOBYnPANCAKES

Reaction score
Toby has a bacteria infection. They put him on antibiotics and another for parasites. I'm praying to God that this works and everything gets better because I can't afford to take him in again for a $55 check up. I just feel like their services are so way over priced. They just want to take you for everything you have. :[ Glad Toby got the treatment he needed but golly i'm a little depressed now that I have a gigantic hole in my checking account. Anyways yay for Toby :]

Actually, that is pretty reasonable. When Willow went in for G I Stasis with our vet it costed us $214 (For that, he got fluids, pain killer, check-up and antibiotics to make sure nothing nasty came from the stress) and it is $74 just for a check-up, per bunny. That's the cheapest around here as well, anything lower and you can almost guarantee the vet has no idea what they are doing. Not saying that isn't majorly overpriced though. I can definitely relate to your financial worries when it comes to bunny vet visits.

Hope your bun does well!

Thats not too bad.

Here is is 38euro for the vet to look at the animal, they charge the same for what ever animal it is. Then they add on any medication, injections, pain meds etc thats needed to that amount.

38euro is equal to 52 dollars.

But then in my other vets, I didnt bring my rabbit nor my guinea pig to as he isnt rabbit savy its a rip off! They dont have any set prices as in the savy vet. They just add it together at random.

But this one is very nice, they have your own little account and then in that your animal has thier own account, with all details in it. The other vets nothing was written down, NOTHING!

Hope he be ok, I know what it is like to have a sick rabbit.

I haven't even had the nerve to add up Shasta's gastric stasis bills, but they must be close to 700 by now. The good news is he's back - he is his old bouncy self again, and his partner has her bounce back too, as a result. The money really hurt, though, not to mention the stress (I'm very lucky to have a job where they let me come home for half an hour in the middle of the day to syringe feed a bunny). Shasta and I have discovered a few things through all this...
1. find a vet who doesn't charge for the follow-up exam, just the treatment. A good vet should want to see you animal back to make sure that the treatment was successful (not to get their hands in your pocket). Tell the vet you don't have much money (ie. play nice or you'll lose this patient to a more reasonable vet).
2. keep a fund for emergency pet medical care.
3. tell everyone know that rabbits are NOT CHEAP PETS.
4. think over how far you can and are willing to go. I decided that I would see Shasta through this with medical intervention, but not with surgery (only half of all surgical gs cases survive).
Good luck with your bun!

Wow amazing! So happy your bun is well :] That is such a stress relief. But yes I will make sure my vet knows I'm a poor starving student haha and that his follow up exam shouldn't cost! Good Ideas :] Thanks for your reply very helpful!

TOBYnPANCAKES wrote:
Toby has a bacteria infection. They put him on antibiotics and another for parasites. I'm praying to God that this works and everything gets better because I can't afford to take him in again for a $55 check up. I just feel like their services are so way over priced. They just want to take you for everything you have. :[ Glad Toby got the treatment he needed but golly i'm a little depressed now that I have a gigantic hole in my checking account. Anyways yay for Toby :]
wellcome to the world of rabbitry.//.we feel your pain.-it is a labor of love,,sincerely james waller--a good exotic dvm is worth their weight in gold,-though there are others not worth mentioning..:big wink:

Latest posts

Back