Just adopted rabbit from animal shelter need infomation

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thrashersfan

Reaction score
Hello.

My family just adopted a rabbit from the animal shelter. We understanda little about them because we have two guinea pigs. They eat the samefood. Here is a picture of him

3de68f87.jpg

Sorry about the big picture. He is six months and not fixed.Any informatiom will be helpful. Thanks alot for your time and effort.

The Lee Family

What a beautiful rabbit! There is anextensive amount of info in the archives of thisforum. You can use the search feature to find specificinfo. Many knowledgeable people on this board would be gladto help you with specific questions or problems.

You mad a wonderful choice adopting a rabbit from the animal shelter!

Pam

One thing,

rabbits do not eat the same food as Guinea Pigs. GP's require Viamin[C] in their diet while Rabbits do not. I would suggest you purchase aquality pelleted rabbit feed, [Not the petshop junk food] You can placefeed in smaller plastic bags and freeze it to extend its nutritionallife if necessary. I hope this helps.

Dennis,C.V.R.

As far as food we are thinking of the Oxbowproducts since they make food for rabbits and GP plus they also havetimothy hay that I can get as well. When we adopted Thumper we got afree bag of food. It is Nutriphase. I know that it is not very good butit will get us though until we find Oxbow products in our area or orderit online. As far as a vet I have a Sanctuary that is about60 miles away. They are helping with finding a vet in ourarea. Thanks alot for the information so far.

The Lee Family

Hi, Welcome to the forum. Your rabbitsure is a cutie. I love his little round ears and that whitearea on his nose. :) His coloring is like my femalerabbit's. Her name is Trixie.I have amale rabbit also his name is Trouble. I know that you willreally enjoy watching your rabbit's personality come out.They can be so funny, and they can get in trouble too!!;)I feed my two Purina Rabbit Chow. I getthat at the feed store and it is around $6.00 or $7.00 for 25lbs. I tried OXbow hay just last week and my rabbits did notseem to enjoy it any more that the other hay that I buy. Theyare going crazy over the papaya tablets with pineapple thatIbought from Oxbow. This is good and they are helping cleanout the hairballs from their systems. They are both moultingright now--- hair all over!:( The enzymes from those productshelp with the hairball problem. Rabbits cannot vomit sothehairballs go through their system. Youcan also use fresh pineapple, but mine will not always eatit. Enjoyyour .****Beckie

2bunmom wrote:
Hi,Welcome to the forum. Your rabbit sure is a cutie.I love his little round ears and that white area on his nose.:) His coloring is like my female rabbit's. Hername is Trixie.I have a male rabbit also his nameis Trouble. I know that you will really enjoy watching yourrabbit's personality come out. They can be so funny, and theycan get in trouble too!! ;)I feed my two PurinaRabbit Chow. I get that at the feed store and it is around$6.00 or $7.00 for 25 lbs. I tried OXbow hay just last weekand my rabbits did not seem to enjoy it any more that the other haythat I buy. They are going crazy over the papaya tablets withpineapple thatI bought from Oxbow. This is good andthey are helping clean out the hairballs from their systems.They are both moulting right now--- hair all over!:( Theenzymes from those products help with the hairball problem.Rabbits cannot vomit so thehairballs go throughtheir system. You can also use fresh pineapple, but mine willnot always eat it. Enjoyyour .****Beckie
Where doyou get Purina Rabbit chow from? i never seen it. Thats about the sameamount of money that i get from walmart. Not a colorful food but not aname brand either.
Papaya Tablets is that something iwill find in a pet store or a people product i can get at thestore.

Hi Cristy, The Purina Rabbit Chow canbe bought a your local feed store. This is wherepeoplego to buy feed for farm animals. Look in theyellow pages in your phone book for local stores in yourarea. You can also go to the Purina web site and view theirproducts and I think they can give you locations for stores in yourarea. I have foundthat buying pets products at thefeed stores and Tractor Supply stores are much less expensive than thepet shops. As for the papaya tablets, I think Buck Jones hasbought some at Walmart in the vitamin and supplement section.( forpeople) You could probably buy them in a health foodstore. I bought mine from Oxbow. There web site ishttp://www.oxbowhay.comI was buying some other products and bought a small bottle just to tryfor my rabbits. They smell really good, like something Iwould like to eat, and both of my rabbits eat them reallywell. I will be buying the large bottle the nexttime. Hope some of this helps.

**** Beckie

ok thanks for the info. The oxbow food is morethan i really can afford. I did find a place that has the purina rabbitchow about 6 miles from here. I checked the list of min andmax of stuff in it and will try and cut and paste and type what thecurrent stuff has in it. A big reason for wantingto change cause Luv always seems to get a dirty bottom and i hoping abetter quailty food will stop that. I give her partial baths but itwould be nice if i didnt have to do that.She is also on the big side but i switched her hay and feed her lessbut i dont notice any difference.

Cristy

Hi there and welcome to the forum! Mybest advice to you for your new rabbit is to get him neutered prettysoon. It stops them from obnoxious behavior like spraying andis also beneficial to their health. :)

-Vinny

The rabbits i have seen that frequently get dirtybottoms are being fed too much greens and fruit try cutting back onthese a bit and feeding more hay.bluebird

Luv gets maybe a piece of fruit one a week. Likea slice of apple and maybe later a little bit of cerely. Not much shewill eat anyways besides hay and her pellets.

If its the quality of food that does it, will the other bunny start having the same problem until i can get something different?

Cristy

Hi Cristy

My little rabbits had caecotrophs they weren't eating, and I've been reading a vet book about rabbits which I quote from below

"Excess caecotrophs ('sticky bottom syndrome')

Some diets, particularly those that are high in protein, low in fibreand high in carbohydrate or sugar will cause the rabbit to produce morecaecal faeces than it needs and hence develop a 'sticky bottom'. If therabbit is overfed, particularly if it is on a high protein diet, it maylose the urge to practice coprophagy...

Dietary reform means changing the rabbit over to a high fibre, lowprotein and low carbohydrate diet, which actually proves a more naturaldiet, and one closer to that of its relatives, the wild rabbit. Therabbit's digestive system works best when it has to break down plantfibres.

1) There should be unlimited access to good quality grass hay at all times, as the major fibre provider.

2) Dry or pelleted food (which is high in protein and carbohydrate) should be restricted.

3)Processed 'treats' full of carbohydrate and sugar) should be cut out and replaced with fruit treats.

4)Vegetables and fruit can be slowly introduced from the followinglist, one at a time. If any item upsets the rabbit it will showdiarrhea 24-48 hours after its introduction, and that fruit orvegetable should be removed from the diet. Once the new regime is fullyintroduced the rabbit should receive at least 1/2 cup of vegetables perkilogram (2.2 lbs) of body weight daily.

Vegetables: broccoli, brussels sprouts and sprout tops, cabbage andcabbage types, spring greens etc., carrot and carrot tops, celery,clover, dandelion (leaves and flowers); - use sparingly, kale, mint,parsley, radish tops, spinach, watercress.

Fruit: small amounts of apple, pear, peach, melon, pineapple, plum, strawberry or tomato can be added or used as 'treats'.

5) Astringent plants such as blackberry or raspberry leaves can beintroduced immediately; they are a good source of fibre and will notcause diarrhea.

Hay alone should be fed first, provided the rabbit is used to eatinghay, otherwise it must learn to eat hay before everything else iswithdrawn. After the faeces have been normal for a week, the greens canbe introduced slowly. It may take a week, or up to several months onhay before the faeces are normal"

From 'Rabbits - Health Husbandry and Disease' by Virginia Richardson (Blackwell Science)

I read this and realised that I was probably just feeding my littleherd more pellets than they needed so they were producing a lot morecaecotrophs than they were eating. I cut pellets to minimal rations andincreased the hay, and within 48 hours the problem had almostdisappeared. Hope this helps you too :D

Thanks for all the information. Are you saying tofeed my rabbit nothing but hay for weeks maybe months until the problemis gone. She does eat hay but i dont know if thats enough forher to live on.

I just found me a feed store that carries a better brand of food. Doyou think the problem can be fixed by giving a better quality food.

As of right now, she gets her pellets, hay and maybe a slice of a applea week when we have apples, and a peice or two of cerely when we havethat on hand.

Cristy

No I don't think you need to cut pellets out, Ithink that's a bit extreme, poor rabbit :(, I was just quoting fromwhat it said. All I did was give mine a lot more hay and about a thirdof what I had been giving them in pellets and it pretty much cured theproblem within a couple of days. They're still eating and drinkingreally well and running round like lunatics so it obviously hasn'tupset them much. I guess that their diet might have been too good:)The idea is that they're supposed to eat their caecotrophsand they don't bother when they're getting a rich diet.

I think in the book it was just saying it could take that long with arabbit who's digestion was really messed up, because it's a vets bookso they have to go with worst case scenarios. I don't personally thinkthat the very small amount of fruit and veg she's getting would becausing it. Changing the pellets over slowly to a different brand mighthelp if you're not happy with the one you've got but it wouldn't hurtto give extra hay and cut back on the pellets for a few days to see ifit made any difference, especially since you mentioned she was gettinga little on the large side :)

"Vegetables: broccoli, brussels sprouts andsprout tops, cabbage and cabbage types, spring greens etc., carrot andcarrot tops, celery, clover, dandelion (leaves and flowers); - usesparingly, kale, mint, parsley, radish tops, spinach, watercress."

and cabbage is generally known as a plant to not use orto use sparingly. wonder what i did with my list of plants...hmmmm...

ok will cut back more and see what happens. Shereally isnt a too active of a bunny so a little exercise would help herhave a girly figure. Since i made her a box home she been more activeand Roger runs around and she has a few times ran around the room likehim since we got him.

Cristy

Well...

Along with pellet food he would need fresh water availible to him atALL times. Hay is also a nesecerry (omg how do u spell that word???)item.

If you give them treats (carrots fruit veg etc) make sureit is in small quantities and not every day. This is becauseit is high in sugar. And stay away from ice berg letteceespecially.

Hope this helps!

Luv 4rm

Loz n ebony and fidget

xXx

Latest posts

Back