Jersey Wooly - special diet?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmc5

Reaction score
I have raised rabbits for years and always fed the same thing - Purina Rabbit Chow.

I was asked if I wanted a pair of Jersey Woolies and said sure. I looked up the breed on the net the night before. I seem to remember a site that said they need such-n-such nutrional needs. I sorta, kinda paid attention and bought a big bag of Purinia Rabbit Chow.

They are nearing the end of the large bag and I was wondering if they do have a special diet. Fuzzy, the white one, tosses the bowl and throws the food everywhere. I dont mind since they poo in a differenttub and live and eat in this tub. They don't seem to eat much. I toss out maybe half of the feed after it sits on the floor for a couple of days.

I was wondering if this is their way of telling me that the food is not meeting their needs? They do have an endless supply of Oxbow Timothy hay and suppliments of fresh veggies and fruit. I live in a smallish town and getting "good" pet food can be a challenge. I saw the other week that Pet Supply Plus is now carrying Oxbow Rabbit Food but boy the price is high. It would be cheaper to buy online. Otherwise, we have mystrey food in the dispensers, Kaylee and Brownsomething.

Do I need special food for them or just buy different food?

Purina should be just fine. Angoras may need higher protein foods but Jersey Wooleys should begood on a normal 16% protein pellet and a lot do just fine on the lower protein pellets as well.

Sounds to me like Fuzzy is just playing with the bowl. Get a heavy ceramic one or one of the plastic ones that attach to the side of the cage, and give him some other toys to throw instead.:)

Ok thanks, I was just double checking before buying the next bag. They have toys. An empty tissue box, toilet paper roll, a bird ball, assorted wood things,a towel. I have a ceramic bowl in the garage somewhere, I will go look for it.

Back