Ivomec/Ivermection

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wintermelon

Reaction score
I would like to regularly deworm, demite my rabbits and would like to know what's the difference between

1. Ivomec Injectible

2. Ivomec Oral

3. Ivermectin paste

Also, i've noticed that there are differnt packagings for ivomec. There is one for swine and one for cattle. One of them is 0.27% while the other is 1% Which is the correct one to use? Is there a difference in the efficiency of 1, 2 and 3?

One other thing bothering me is...how often should i be deworming and demiting them? As well as what the dosage should be for prevention as well as for treatment?

Tks!

I think Ivomec is a brand name. The only other difference should be the type of use it's made for- oral or injection. I think the paste is oral too. There is an otic (ear) version, but it might only be available through vets. My kittens got that for their ear mites.

As for how often to deworm them, you'll need advice from a breeder. Pamnock would probably know. As long as the ingredients are the same, you should be able to use either the swine or the cattle version. You would just calculate the dosage differently. Check the Rabbit Drug Dosage Calculator for normal recommended dosages:
http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/rx/drugcalc.html

I feel safer going to a vet for meds, especially since some rabbits do have reactions to Ivermectin. But I understand that this isn't always possible.

I use .10 of a cc (1/10) for every 5 pounds of body weight (swine injectable given orally). I would start out dosing every 2 weeks, then decrease down to once a month if the rabbits are showing no signs of parasites.

In rare cases, some rabbits may experience a toxic reaction to Ivermectin.

Pam

Thanks for the replys!

Would i be correct that ivomec and ivermectin is one and the same? The difference being whether it is paste or liquid? Btw, what type of toxic reactions do they get? Seizures?

Also, i've read recently that a lot of people use Revolution without any problems. However, there have also been reports from dying from Revolution after accidently consuming it. When it comes to mites, would Revolution or Ivomec be more effective?

I'm been reading up on mites and am looking for a site that would show how mites and fungus like ringworms and other fungi that affects rabbitslooks like under the microscope. As i do have a microscope, i am hoping to be able to self-detect the presence of mites, fungus and other ailments that my rabbits might have.

Thank you so much for the help!:D

The first symptom generally notedis lethargy.
Ataxia and seizures may set in. Death is often due to respiratory arrest.

One of our previous members ("Buck Jones" who has passed away) had a rabbit that lived through a toxic reaction due to Ivermectin. His experience is documented in our search archives. Hopefully, someone can track that thread down tonight.

Pam

Thanks everyone! Really helpful info...I'm still searching for the sites with photos of fungal and mites and will post it up when i do.

Back