Itchy!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirbyultra

Reaction score
I've always had really sensitive skin and my skin breaks out in blisters under mild stress and heals very slowly... Lately I've noticed a lot more itchy blisters forming on my hands. I didn't really make the connection for a few weeks but I think it could be from handling Kirby's loose timothy hay. I'm not sure whether it's because I touch my face afterwards or what but in the last few days my forehead and my ears seem to be very itchy too. And it's only been lately that I started to pick out the brown bits of hay that aren't as fresh (I've only had Kirby about 3 weeks). One time I was trying to feed Kirby a baby carrot and he brushed his mouth on it, but he wasn't really in the mood. He usually loves carrots so to see if something was wrong with it I broke it in half and popped half of it in my mouth. After that I started to itch all over my neck. I roll around inside Kirby's pen with him all the time and don't really see any particular problem, nor when I pet and kiss him. It's hard to tell if it's Kirby or the hay because I handle both daily. I suppose it's the hay :(I really hope it's not Kirby. I love my bun so much!! I couldn't bear to part with him now... Is allergy to hay common? Do you think wearing gloves while picking out the brown bits of hay will help? :(:help

I am allergic to hay, but I get sinus problems from it. (I get an itchy skin allergy sometimes, too, but it's not from the hay.) For me, I get really sneezy after messing with the hay, then my eyes will get super red and itchy, also my throat and inside my ears will be swollen and itcy. Well, that's what would happen if I didn't take my allergy meds. (I'm on 3, because I have lots of other allergies that make my sinuses bad, too.)

Do you have any other allergies?

Maybe you can try using gloves when you handle the hay, then just take the gloves off before you touch your skin or clothes anywhere.

Also, there are lots of allergy medicines out there, maybe you can try one of those? Claritin and Zyrtec are both available over the counter, with inexpensive generic versions. My husband takes generic Claritin (he's allergic to the bunnies), and I use Zyrtec, because the Claritin doesn't work for me. If you decide to try that, remember it takes maybe 2 weeks of taking it every day to really work right. (But if you get generic, it's not that expensive.)

You could try using those plastic loose work gloves that are sold in a boxes at menards or Home depot and see if that makes a difference. (unless youi are allergic to latex)
hope it's the hay and not the bun :(

I have super-sensitive skin, too. My hands can "break out" from touching some brands of timothy hay. I get little red bumps that sting for a day or so, and they take a few days to go away. I use generic hydrocortisone cream for the itchiness, and I just switched brands of hay, and I haven't had any recent problems. It only happened with the Kaytee brand timothy hay (they were out of everything else). Now I have Oxbow and have no problems.

Good to know! I'll try some different brands of hay... and try to wash my hands immediately after handling. Thanks everyone!!

No problem! Like I said, though, hydrocortisone cream is a lifesaver! Hydrocortisone is like generic Benadryl, in case you didn't know (you'd be surprised how many people don't know that!) :)

Latest posts

Back