Itchy ear?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LovableLops

Reaction score
My bunny has itched his ear a few times since i got him..i think its the same ear.
he would only itch it for like 1 or 2 seconds with his back foot them clean his back food with his mouth.
Do bunnies usually do this?

My bunny, Toby, did that quite a bit when I first got him. He was like a bit under 2 months old and had very sharp nails. I had a whole big thread about his ears being all scratched up. Yes, he would *scratch scratch scratch* and then stick his back foot in his mouth. lol. I don't remember how old your bunny is but if he is a baby bun, you might want to think about trimming down those super sharp baby nails soon before he does the same thing Toby did. Another bun on the forum had the same thing happen to her baby rex bunny.

Hope this helps you.
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=46775&forum_id=16&msg=3

Kirbyultra's right. Most bunnies clean their ears like that, and the nails can be a problem. Baby bunny nails are especially sharp so you should trim them if he's young.

Itching an ear can be a sign of other problems, though, if it's excessive. If he itches it for a very long time continuously, or itches it often during the day, it could be a sign of ear mites or an ear infection. If he does it 2-3 times a day, it's probably just him cleaning himself. Other signs of ear problems to look for are vigorous ear shaking (that's not part of binkying). ;)

I trimmed his nails as soon as i brought him home.
no worries there.
and he only does it a few times a day for a sec or two.

Lops even do it more I've learned. Snuff has some sort of ear deal on one that Pam said to use a med for fungus on, which Ihave yet to do. It's not any worse, but he loves to go off on his ears from time to time, haha. Only reason for fungus worry is there is a slight whiteness on the very bottom edge of his one ear.

Huh, that's interesting. I find that Tony (dutch) does it more than Muffin (lop).

Latest posts

Back