Itchy Bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DustBun

Reaction score
My lop Dusty is scratching his fur thin in one spot on his "shoulder" area. His skin appears to be a little red in the area, however, i don't see any fleas or mites. His skin looks healthy to me (no flaking) but he is constantly scratching! Could this be from dry skin? The fur is growing back and nothing in his diet or environment has changed. He is an inside bunny with run of the house.

From what I've read, you can't see fur mites with the naked eye. If he has dandruff, then odds are he has mites. Fleas you can see, but they move really fast, making them difficult to spot. Fleas leave "flea dirt" (their droppings) on the fur, though, so if you see tiny brown spots on the fur, then he most likely has fleas.

I'd treat for mites/fleas just in case.

Hope that helps!

Rue

If you want to wait a few days to see if the scratching ceases after the fur grows back that would be OK but it may very well be fur mites
You can use Revolution for puppies /kittens applied topically between the shoulder blades; the dosage is 6 mg per kg (a kg =2.2lbs)

Since this is a prescription med you may need to get it from the vet and it wouldn't hurt to have your bunny examined as fur mites sometimes show up when viewed microscopically

Latest posts

Back