is this something I should be worring about?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been taking Hershey to school with meone day a week this year. He seems to love being chased aroundby the kids! I have place set up where the kids are not allowed to go so he can get some rest if he needs it, but he comes home TIRED!

He was at school Wed. Today, (Fri.) I came home from work and found a small puddle of diarreha on the floor. About the size of a silver dollar. Hershey is pretty reliable with the litter box, and there were many normal poops in his box. This happened several days ago also. I can't remember when it was in relationship to being at school, so I don't know if the two event are connected.

Is this something I need to be worried about? He otherwise eats, drinks, plays, etc. like normal.

What are you feeding him?

He might be getting a bit stressed by the visits, but I dont' know if that would cause it to happen 2 days later.

could he be getting into something you aren't seeing? carpet hidden behind something, chewing under a piece of furniture.

Anytime a bunny has "strange" poos it's something to really look at closely.

Personally I would put it down to stress and consider stopping the school visits.
I have a little guy who has stress related poopy butt too - most recently after I introduced him to a playmate, a younger, unneutered bunny. He was fine for a few days but then the runny poops came on, and as a result I have kept them apart and he is now perfect again.

Bunnies are sadly very sensitive and its better to play it safe I think.

Hope you get it resolved soon. :)

Ya know what? Thurs. late in the afternoon, I gave him a pretty big piece of carrot. I I know one other time he came to school, someone gave him some carrot also!

I often feed him wild carrots, but they are much smaller than store bought carrot. Maybe it's the carrots, or a combination of carrots and stress?

OH yeah that could be it. I actually used to get romaine for the buns. They LOVE it but everytime they've had it lately - bo gets the poos. I can't give him any of it now.

Carrots have a lot of sugar - could be messing him up. Carrot tops are much better for him and they actually like them better here.

Good! By the way - he's adorable!

I use some of the organic foods for the bunnies. They generally eat better than we do LOL!

Thank you, yeah, he is! I really gotta get a decent camera so I can get a pic that does him justice! He is a real sweetie too! That's why I want to bring him to school...I miss him too much when I'm gone all day!

I know what you mean about the bunnies eating better. Hershey eats more of the Organic Spring Mix than I do! lol!

Thanks for asking!

I haven't seen anything else suspicious. I haven 't given him any more carrots. He went to school Thurs. and all seems fine yet. It turned out to be very educational for the students as well! We had a long discussion on why we couldn't give Hershey carrots anymore, what the difference is between wild carrots and store carrots, etc! They even had the word "carrot" for a spelling word. One of the students was writing a sentence for his words and for carrot he wrote: "Hershey does not like carrots!" lol!

That's WONDERFUL! I firmly believe in animals being great assistants in teaching children.

Something that always frustrates me is people who teach their kids to be afraid of animals or that animals are "dirty" and should be avoided.

I've been given the "eww you have bunnies in your house" comment one too many times. I love my bunnies and they are probably cleaner than some other house animals! and people!!!

golfdiva, I'm going through all of your posts to find cute Hershey photos to draw and came across this thread. :) What do you teach? I teach 3rd grade. :)

AngelnSnuffy wrote:
Yeah, how's he doing? I hope better!

Let us know when you can!;)

Hershey is fine. We were gone on vacation for 2 weeks and the neighbor took care of all my critters here at the zoo! She is very good with animals and did a nice job, but I guess I forgot about the carrot issue. When I came home last night I found rements of carrots in Hershey's room! No sign of digestive problems though! Maybe he out grew the problem.

I teach upper elementary special ed., specifically, autistically impaired.

One of my cousin's sons is autistic and their other son has aspergers syndrome. It's amazing how comforting rabbits can be. Patrick (the autistic boy) has two bunnies from me - Bumblebee and Diamond.

As for carrots, I have to be very careful giving Onion pieces since they cause poopy butt very easily. Aiden doesn't have the trouble, but he's much bigger. Ibimi has ongoing health troubles from her former obesity (well, she isn't a thin doll yet) and carrots just don't do well for her either.

I'm glad to hear everything is clearing up for Hershey!

Back