Is this going to be an issue??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RescueMe

Reaction score
Well, as some of you know I'm new here and I just rescued/adopted a 1 year old (approx) male lionhead.

I have no idea what his living situation was prior to me getting him as far as handling goes...seems he was pretty neglected so probably wasn't getting handled much.

I've only had him since New Year's Day so I don't know if this is going to be an ongoing problem, or if maybe I'm somehow startling him.....

but anyway he has nipped me a couple times and boxed at my hand a few times while in his cage. He nipped me today when I put my finger in his cage - he will come up to be petted and seems interested/curious about me - and I think I may have startled him because I started wiggling my finger a bit (I do this with my other rabbit as a sign that I want to rub his chin) and he nipped at me.

Then another time when I was putting some hay in his cage he boxed at my hand with his front feet and nipped at my hand.

Is this cage aggression/is he being territorial?

He always comes up to me when he's in his cage and lets me pet him and he seems very sweet other then these few times.

Any suggestions??

ETA - the guy I got him from was in college - not to say that college kids are "bad" but I know 20 something guys can get rowdy sometimes and maybe they harrassed him. I don't want to accuse...but it's a thought. I don't really know anything about this little guy's background.

It sounds like "cage aggression" to me. Is he neutered? If not that could be a cause as well. How is he out side of his cage? Give him time to settle in to his new environment. I would be careful of putting my hands into his space.

Latest posts

Back