is this cage to big or to small? I really want to know

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyWover

Reaction score
well Iam making an outdoor cage , note: it would be indoor but my parents said I could get a rabbit but it has to be outdoors:((and I know how bad that can be but hear me out ). and Iam 14:expressionless. well anways Ive been desiging a cage , and since Ill most likely be away for 5-8 hours a day (for school and a some day job) I want it to be bigso when Iam gone the rabbit has lots of room to run and play. Ill try to best explain my cage:pray: . it will be 3 feet wide . 2.5 feet high and the roof is in the shape of triangle and it will be 1.5 feet high.and it will be 3 feet off the ground ( I dont want any animals getting to it). and thats just the cage inside Ive made a hut:biggrin:. for it to sleep and stay in when the weathers bad ( now if the weathers really bad Ive talked to my parents about that they said I would be able to bring it in the house:)thank goodness) so ya . I know this is alot to read and most likly not very clear but I just want to know would my bunny be safe and would it have a good bit of room. and if I could get a picture of it I would show you guys. thank you for reading and if theres any questions please ask :innocent

:happybunny::rabbithop:happybunny:

How long will the cage be? Are you going to attach a run to let him/her out to run? Also, it depends on how big your rabbit is. Do you know what kind you want to get?

I would recommend getting a run as well so that it can run around more and explore whilst you are away.

And there is nothing wrong with keeping a rabbit outdoors. Mine are outdoors all year round.

Amy27 wrote:
How long will the cage be? Are you going to attach a run to let him/her out to run? Also, it depends on how big your rabbit is. Do you know what kind you want to get?
Iam sorry I forgot to add thouse details . well its going to be 6 feet long. and I want to get a small breed like a dwarf. again sorry for forgetting thouse details

BunnyWover wrote:
Amy27 wrote:
Iam sorry I forgot to add thouse details . well its going to be 6 feet long. and I want to get a small breed like a dwarf. again sorry for forgetting thouse details

and yes again Iam sorry I will be adding a run . not sure how big it will be but dont worry there will be alot of room:)

Get NIC pannels. then you can always add on and make it as big as you want and as many levels up as you'd like. warning though, they can get addicting. i've already made a NIC maze, NIC stairs for the buns to get on the bed, obviously NIC cage and gates, and i use them for all of the bunny storage and made them into wall units using brackets and everything lol

I would not recommend NIC panels for an outside cage. Inside they are wonderful, but not strong enough to resist predators and they don't have proper protection from the elements.

-Dawn

I feel it would be easier to build a wooden hutch and use welded wire mesh for windows. The holes are small enough that predator paws can't get through and easily secured strongly to the wood.

-Dawn

I'd also say a dwarf may get too cold in your climate, they don't hold their body heat well, so maybe a bigger breed would be better. And best to get two to keep each other company and provide more warmth. Rabbits really are social, they have to have almost constant company whether it be human or rabbit.

I also agree with the predator proof cage. Cube shelving panels aren't strong enough.

sas :bunnydance:

Pipp wrote
I also agree with the predator proof cage. Cube shelving panels aren't strong enough.

sas :bunnydance:
Not only are they not strong enough but the openings are big enough to let the elements get to your bunny as well as any would be predators.

Not a good idea :twocents

Latest posts

Back