Is this a normal thing for intact males?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ainsleys_mommy

Reaction score
I'm hoping we can all be adults (or if we're not adults at least act like it) and realize this is a honest question. I have a male, approximately 2 years old. I haven't had money to get him neutered yet. I've had him since the end of January. I've noticed almost everytime I hold him, his penis is stuck out. I have another intact male that is just now old enough to neuter and his doesn't do that, except when I'm combing in that area, which is understandable. It seems dry too when I find it, so I assume it has been stuck out for a while. I usually take him to the sink and splash some lukewarm water in that area and it goes back in. It doesn't bother me that it sticks out because he's an animal and what do you expect... I'm just afraid it's going to do some damage being left out all the time.

It actually may be a serious problem..
I haven't heard it with rabbits, but I have heard it with horses, as my boyfriens paint is an intact male. We constantly have to watch it, and yes, lube him and put him "back in" to make sure it is okay.

I have had 2 adult intact males (One currently) and I havent' seen that in mine either.

I don't have a lot of info to help you, hopefully somebody more knowledgable comes along.

Or I see you have a girl..is she intact? He may smell her on you, or smell her in general and it causes him to be aroused.

No, she's been spayed since the end of last year, before we got him. He is, however, in a cage right next to hers where he can see her. I did that so when I did get him neutered, hopefully intros would be easier. Is it possible for 2 neutered males and a spayed female to live together after the males have been neutered for a month or so?

Really sorry you're not getting an answer.

Definitely two males and a female can be bonded if they're spayed/neutered, a month is probably enough time, but its up to the individual buns of course. Sometimes it easy, sometimes not. Sometimes its impossible. You can have somebunny who just won't bond, period.

Ask Aurora369 about bonding a trio she had as well as the unbondable Sugar.

I'm concerned about the male part, I hope somebody can answer this.

sas :?

The vet said it could be a bladder infection because he's been urinating all over the place too. I can't take him until the 10th because that's when I get paid. :(

Usually if a penis is out all the time you would notice a problem for it being so, i.e. swollen/sore. As it unable to retract. Maybe he is just easily excited?

That makes sense--that a UTI is happening and that's the cause. Peeing everywhere also indicates that that's going on, so definitely get it checked out.

Check for a UTI and if there is no medical reason, then I would guess that it is hormone related. When I was looking after a 4 year old un-neutered bunny, his penis would stick out all the time.

He was quite enamored with me, and he would love circle me, spray me and every time he got excited his penis would come out. Even being around a neutered male or spayed female got him all excited and his penis came out. So it is possible that the smell and sight of the other rabbits is getting him excited or that even your presence is getting him excited.

And yes, two males and a female can work. I had a very happy trio with two males and a female until the female passed away and then I had a happy bonded male pair.

-Dawn

When he zig zags between my legs, is that love circling? I knew he was attached, but not to that degree. I find myself rather flattered, in a weird roundabout kind of way :) It's very hard to walk when he's doing that though.

He is also very fond of the female Johnnie. They're usually laying as close as they can to one another in seperate cages. It's sad. I need to hurry up and get him neutered so I can put them together.

I don't think Albus (the other male) is going to be a problem with bonding at all. He's a fuzzy lop. It's funny because when I brush him, he's like a little rag doll. I lay him in my lap and he lets me lift his legs and roll him over and do whatever I need to do to get him brushed. Usually he falls asleep and I have to support his head when I'm moving him. He's such a ham. I'm just concerned the other two (especially Emmett) are going to pick on him. Hopefully the neutering helps calm Emmett down a bit, but I hope he doesn't lose his personality.

Yes, zig-zagging between your legs or just generally running around you is love circling. Chances are, he is getting himself all excited doing his love dancing.

It should go away after the neuter, although it may take a while for the hormones to dissipate and thus the behaviour too.

-Dawn

I have an appt for him at the vet on Thursday morning. I just want to make sure there's no underlying problem. It's a different vet too, and I want to see if their neutering is cheaper. They're suppose to be more exotic animal savvy.

I took him actually to two vets yesterday. The first one did an ear swab because she thought he might have ear mites, which I kind of thought was weird because it just looked like wax to me- it wasn't black. And then she told me to cut back on the hay and pellets and feed mostly fruits and veggies because the hay is too high in calcium???? So she gave him an antibiotic because she feels he has a UTI. She said if he's not any better in a week, or if he gets worse, she wants to do an xray to see if he has bladder stones. Because there were a few questionable things, I took him to another vet because I wanted to make sure she did everything else correctly. That vet said that rabbit ear mites do cause yellow crud that looks like earwax??? but that he could tell he didn't have ear mites. He also told me my original thinking of more hay, 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup pellets (he weighs 5 pounds), and veggies with a little fruit 2-3 times a week was correct and to ignore what the other vet said. He said he believes he has a UTI as well and that she gave the exact same medicine that he would've given. Emmett already seems a little better today. Maybe he's just afraid I'll take him to another vet if he still acts sick :)

The first vet seemed a little bit off. I think the second vet was more correct. In any case, at least you have an antibiotic to treat the UTI now. Bunnies do get a little yellow waxy stuff normally, and it can get quite serious and chunky when there's ear mites.

I should print something off about diet and take it in to the first vet. He's doing better, but still urinating on the floor. I haven't checked his penis in a couple of days because I've been working. I'll check it tonight before bed. He just seems more active again.

Latest posts

Back