Is this a good place to post this?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoveMyRabbit0910

Reaction score
I have 2 questions I need to ask. If this is not the right place to put this topic, feel free to move it. Thanks!

There are 2 things I would like to know. 1) My Rabbit poops a lot and most of the time it's stuck together. Last time I went to the vet, I asked her about this, and she said it's nothing to worry about, he's just eating the wrong kinds of poops. He acts normal..he eats the right amount, he drinks a lot and he runs around and plays. But, I was just wondering, if there is a way I can stop his poops from being stuck together so much? Should I try something different with him?

2) I never hada rabbit yet in the spring or summer time, when it's really hot. It gets steaming hot in my house sometimes because we have no air conditioners here. Is there anything I can do to keep my bunny cool in the hot temperatures? Would it be dangerous if I put a fan near him, to let it blow on him? I don't ever want him to get too hot.

If someone can help me out, I'd appreciate it! Thanks!

Are the stuck-together poos shiny, really stinky (kinda like onions), and in small clusters that look like blackberries? If so, they are cecal poos, which are supposed to be eaten. If he's not eating them, he probably has a diet that's too rich in protein--cut back on the pellets (assuming he's a full grown adult bunny). If they're not cecal poos, he could have some other issues that need to be addressed by a vet. I would go to a different vet because it is important that he's not eating his poos--even if he's not eating his cecals, that can cause some nutritional deficiencies.

Younger bunnies don't always eat all their cecals, and it's ok then, but once they get older than 6 mo or so they should be eating them all and if not the amount of pellets needs to be decreased.

There are lots of things to keep bunnies cool. Some people use pop bottles filled with water and then frozen--bunnies like to lie next to them. A ceramic tile can be put in the freezer for a while and then taken out and given to the bunny. If you want to use a fan, make sure he has the option to get away from it if he wants. Too much cold air could be stressful and cause illness. Just aim it only at part of his cage.

Thanks for the info. I was thinking of going to another vet and getting a 2nd opinion, because I felt like there was more to it than what she told me. My Rabbit is over a year old. I give him about 1/4 or 2/4 cup of pellet food. But, most of the time, he doesn't eat all of that.

I read about the bottles in the freezer somewhere online..and then I read somewhere that we're not supposed to do that. So..I decided to ask on here, because you guys here really seem to know what you're talking about.

Again, thanks for the info!

For a smaller bunny, that sounds like a lot of food. I try to give only what they'll eat in 15 minutes.

I haven't heard bad things about the water bottles because the bunnies can get away from them if they want, so I can't imagine how they'd be bad. :dunno:

A good thing is tile. Like ceramic that people would use on the kitchen floors.

Put them in the freezer and a bun can lay on them when they like.

The only things I have ever heard about bottles being bad is them chewing them. The plastic.

Hope that helps also a fan could be good. Not directly on the bunny bun in his direction.

Oh that is a good point, Kat. I have heard of bunnies chewing holes in the water bottles and the water spilling everywhere, and then you have a wet bunny. Sorry I didn't think of that.

Elvis is doing great! I changed his pellet diet..I give him pellet food every other day now. He always has hay available to him, and fresh water. So, his poops haven't been stuck together lately, which is a relief!

Thanks to everyone here who has helped! =)

Latest posts

Back