is she pregnant?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angelcries

Reaction score
On May 24th my female rabbit (Joy)got out of her hutch. I looked for her but couldn't find her and couldn't believe she was gone. She has a mate named Happy a male nuetered lop. And it just broke my heart that he lost his Joy too! Well to make a long story short I had an engagement that day I couldn't get out of and my mom (bless her heart) came over while I was out and went searching my neighborhood for my Joy. Later that night I got a messege from her to look in the hutch when I got home she had a present for me. Well I was mad I didn't want any other rabbit. Joy was my girl. I adopted her from a rescue league. Well it was dark when I got home but I could see a black rabbit in there so I grabbed it and took it into the house. It was my Joy I cried and cried. I couldn't believe she was ok she was a far distance from here when she was found. Well now that she is home she is acting strange. Happy and Joy normally live inside but moved out for the summer so I can do some work on the house. I hated moving them outside but they have a huge hutch/pen. Well the funny thing is since they are litter trained they use the house part as the litter box so to keep it clean I just put two litter boxes in there. Well when I went out to clean it today they had chewed parts of plastic from a plastic liner that protects them from the rain and put it in the liter box. Is she building a nest? I found this strange because she never has done this before. so I fixed the plastic so they cant reach it and put in some newspaper. She is also grunting and chirping loudly whenever you go near the pen. Which she always has been vocal but now more so then before. I hope she is not pregnant.I had no intentions of her ever getting pregnant and havnt been able to get an appointment for a few months to have her spayed. Any ideas on why she is acting strange? Thanks

if she found an un -neutered domestic during timeout she could be pregnant; a pregnancy usually last 28-32 days after mating.

she also could just be hormonal and building a nest (pseudo-pregnancy); if you could get her spayed fast it would be the best thing. She would have a lower % rate of ever getting cancer and you would not have unwanted baby rabbits.

May sound harsh but there are too many rabbits in this world already with no homes and places to go.............
butI am glad that you got her back :)

If you definitiely cannot get her spayed then just allow her to build her nest and keep track of the days since she got out. it still could be a pseudo pregnancy.

There are many wild rabbits around here. So I don't know...I can't get her spayed for awhile they are booked right now. I have the appointment. I am well aware of the over population of rabbits! My reasons for adopting then buying from pet stores.I guess I will just let her do her thing and see what happens and if she continues to go nuts I will take her to the vet.

A wild rabbit can't get her pregnant. It would have been a domestic rabbit. I learned that on RO recently. :)April

Whoever told you that is wrong S&S.

There is quite a fair bit of proof down on the peninsula here.

Saudade wrote:
Whoever told you that is wrong S&S.

There is quite a fair bit of proof down on the peninsula here.
Some type of wild rabbits can but the type in the US can't, well that is what I picked up here anyway :)
Is the male she lives with neuteured? If not well then there is your culprit

The male is neutered. It says it on the second line.

Wild rabbits in the USA are different species than our domestic rabbits.

Latest posts

Back