Is Ozzy sick?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iluvmybuns

Reaction score
I might be paranoid but here's the scoop:

1.Ozzy is shedding A LOT more than usual

2.He is sneezing really loud like 3 or 4 times in a row every hour or so

3.Pepsi was humping him last night(she has NEVER done that) (heard that could mean something's wrong with him)

Ozzy is acting fine and breathing through his nose still, no discharge either.

Could he be moulting and allergic to his own fur? Sorry if that was a stupid question I'm just really paranoid I love my baby so much.

This shedding has been rough on my buns too. I am collecting the hair to use as stuffingfor a stuffed animal for Dahlia to relieve her womanly frustrations until she gets spayed :p

The sneezing is probably notactual allergies though some do have some to at this time of year (not due to the shedding). I think the hair just gets on or in their nose and tickles them and makes them sneeze. As long as there is no discharge around the nose or on the front paws he should be fine. No other signs ofbreathing difficulties either (panting, wheezing, etc)...

As for the sneezing, you should try to help remove as much fur as possible by brushing your bun orpetting him withdamp hands. This will not only help alleviate the sneezing, but it will avoid your bun absorbing too much hair and suffering a fur block which could be a serious problem for your bun.

As for the mounting, I would believe that to be unrelated. I dunno if the shedding changes anything in terms of behaviour... But as long as no one is injured, you should consider all of this as normal behaviour.

Ps: Nothing stupid about checking something you are not sure about. It's better to ask than not and then end up with a potential problem on your hands. Plus, here is the best place to ask since so many people can help and they all remember when they got their first bun ;)

I'd have him checked at the vet. The sneezing could be a result of the stress of the molt, or the molt could be due to an infection causing the sneezing.

I use Nutri Cal for rabbits going through stress or heavy molt. Very easy for them to metabolize, so helps boost the immune system.

The other rabbit mounting him may be causing further stress.

Pam

Okay my vet won't be in til Thursday, so, what kind of Nutrical do I buy? Is there one spec. for rabbits? Or should I get the one for puppies? I feel so bad for my baby.

Should I bring Pepsi too? Cause she can get sick from him right?

I use Nutri Cal for dogs/cats.

Pathogens vary widely, but Pepsi would be most likely to get sick if her immune system is stressed. At this point, I don't think there's any reason to make an appointment for her because she's not showing any signs of illness.

Ozzy could have a mild bacterial or viral infection, so it's important to have it checked out as well as boosting his immune system to help him get better.

Pam

Thank you so much!! The next opening is Thursday I'll take him in then. I couldn't stand to see him suffer if there is something wrong

Ear temperature can vary widely and are generally not a good indicator of internal body temperature. Outside temperature as well as ear position (on the back = warm, erect = cool) can effect ear temperature. The vet can take his temperature on Thurs. This can also be done at home with a rectal thermometer.

Keep a close eye on him until Thursday. If he's sneezing, he could develop (or may already have) a respiratory infection.

Pam

He's been sleeping but they usually do that this time of day. I'll keep an eye on him, sorry if I sound paranoid posting stupid questions on here.

iluvmybuns wrote:
He's been sleeping but they usually do that this time of day. I'll keep an eye on him, sorry if I sound paranoid posting stupid questions on here.

You're not being paranoid. Bunn owners can generally recognize when something isn't right, and you're being responsible by looking into it further.

Pam

Back